Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable power wheelchair table

Adjustable power wheelchair table

Hi, I am a C-4/5 quadriplegic using a power wheelchair. I've been trying to search for an height adjustable, tiltable, portable tray table (for feeding, reading, etc.) I could get my power wheelchair under. I haven't had much success yet. All that I have seen have bases which will stop my front wheels way before the table top will position nicely against my trunk. Does anybody know if such a table is available and where?

Thanks.

PS -- Moderators, please move this thread if it is not in the appropriate forum. Thanks.

[This message was edited by Quad62 on 06-14-04 at 10:23 PM.]

Check with the company that supplied your wheelchair, because they make tabletops that mount to your wheelchair. I have a quickie S-626, when I got it they sent me a clear Plexiglas tabletop that straps to my armrests. It curves around my stomach in the fronts so things can't fall between the table and my lap.

"It has been said that the great events of the world take place in the brain."

Thanks, Cbowen162. I have considered that, but I would really prefer a table. Hopefully, it's out there somewhere even though I'm having such a hard time finding it.

I know a couple of people who have this one and like it:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/p...dGroupID=14376

(KLD)

Thank you, SCI-Nurse. Maybe I'm being choosy, but I especially want something with coasters so it is more portable. Anymore choices for me out there?

Thanks all.

Since the legs on this are metal tubing, it would be very easy to add your own casters. I have not seen anything like it that is on wheels that is not considerable more expensive (a drafting table,for example).

(KLD)

Thank you, SCI-Nurse. I may have no choice but to look into putting casters on that table.

Way back in ancient times, hospitals used to have overbed tables that were on 4 wheels,without anything in the middle, very easy for w/c to get under and height adjustable. They usually were covered in formica and had a flip up section on top. It might be worth asking at your local hospitals, in their supply departments. Or put an ad in the paper for one of these. Or take a drawing of what you want to a carpenter or local high school workshop for them to do as a project. Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember how handy those tables were!

Just thought that a behind-the-sofa table might work well if put on casters. They are long, narrow and if the apron of wood support isn't high, that would work well. The longer it is, the less you have to take off to make room for your meals.

The overbed tables are still available Lilsister, and quad62 can see them on amazon.com. I recently got one for use with craft activities. They don't take up much room and very little effort to move around with the 4 wheels and narrow top. Mine came ready for assembly, and with a couple of "snafoos" I'm not sure I could work the up/down adjustment, but I don't need it any higher. Other models than mine have tilt feature.
    I really like the table, wish I had thought of it sooner. Too bad they refer to these as "over bed" as they could have multiple uses.