Thread: Hand controls

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hand controls

What type of hand controls does Hertz rent a car use?? They install them in no time and drive very comfortably, almost like my 800$ permanent ones. They seem to be a nice in-between the permanents that you have to drill holes to install and portables but allow AB drives to drive without taking them off.

Where could I buy them and if anyone knows, what is the price??

I tried searching but came away empty.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    What type of hand controls does Hertz rent a car use?? They install them in no time and drive very comfortably, almost like my 800$ permanent ones. They seem to be a nice in-between the permanents that you have to drill holes to install and portables but allow AB drives to drive without taking them off.
    There are permanent hand controls made today that don't allow AB people to drive the vehicle? Nobody's ever had any problem in my cars or in any of the rental cars we've had over the years.

Anyway, in answer to your question, from what I've seen over the years, Hertz uses various manufacturers' controls. Depends on the vehicle, location, etc. Mostly what I've seen is Monarch and Mobility Products. How comfortable they are to drive with depends on the car and the installation. I've rented a few cars that had controls installed by mechanics who didn't really care what they were doing. I've seen a few sloppy installs.

If you just rented a car that had controls you like, I would suggest calling that office back and asking them directly.

C.

Perhaps I wasn´t clear enough. I tried to say that they are a good alternative to portables but allow AB drivers to drive. Thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    Perhaps I wasn´t clear enough. I tried to say that they are a good alternative to portables but allow AB drivers to drive.
    No, you were clear. Apparently I wasn't. Sorry, 'bout that. What I was trying to express is that I am surprised that you have encountered hand controls that do NOT allow AB people to drive the vehicle. I have never seen any that were a problem and wondered what kind you had seen.

Thanks for your comments.
    You're welcome.

C.

Paramoto,
    I have a set of Monarchs in my van and MPD's in my car. Both can be driven by AB's at any time. The controls just have to be installed properly.

I've only rented from enterpise and I've only seen MPD's in those

Dave
    Dave

Hertz seems to use Monarchs.

My own car has Menox, and it is difficult for AB drivers to use safely due to the hardware that is horizontally in the way across the pedals.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    http://www.wheelability.com/

I tried these and they seem to work well.

Be Big,
    Alan
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

I have the PHCIII for travel, they are very convenient. None of the ones linked seem to be the ones that I have seen from Hertz out of their Miami office. I wrote them to inquire and hopefully they´ll write back. The great thing about the ones at Hertz is that they require no drilling to the car. I will post the model if they write me back.