Thread: add-on handcycle

add-on handcycle

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

I have read and folowed them but I have 2 concerns
    1. kills your manual wheelchair
    2. poor stability

I figure it is worth the cost to have a handcycle that is only for handcycling and is essentially all one piece. I also prefer the low profile as they don't tip so easily.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Nico
    I have a handcycle like this one. My is a CyclOne back before Quickie bought them out. It is hard to say this handcycle is decent without knowing the type of riding you plan to do. Flat to rolling hills on pavement, ok, anything steeper or more loose (gravel) I wouldn't waste your money. I have problems with this one not having enough weight on the front wheel, therefore, slipping going up steep hills or loose ground.
    On the otherhand, they are cheaper than regular handcycles.

You also might try this site, they do sell used handcycles.
    bike-on.com

Hope this helps,
    Mike

I have a CycleOne for sale for $200 + shipping. Good condition. Tire is good but the tube might need to be replaced. Been in storage since I switched to a power chair. If you are serious about it I can take a pic and email it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoJo
    I have a CycleOne for sale for $200 + shipping. Good condition. Tire is good but the tube might need to be replaced. Been in storage since I switched to a power chair. If you are serious about it I can take a pic and email it.
    please email me a pic..im interested!

phi16181@gmail.com
    C5-6 - 22 years

Blog Entries
    I would not want to attach it to my everday chair. For the small difference in cost, buy the upright version outright. If you live inner city and just want it for faster transportation to the store/about town and such, that might be different. For exercise, I'd get the entire cycle. If you live in a hilly area, look into the mountain drive or regular derailleur multi-speed setups. When first starting out/getting in shape, hills are TOUGH. After you have a few weeks behind you, they are a lot easier.
    The one advantage I can see for having an upright vs a low to ground hc, is ease of transferring in and out. Otherwise, if you have the money, I'd get a regular, low to the ground style. I rode in a big bike ride once and the only other handcycler there was on an upright. He was having JUST as much fun as me
    Since you live in Norfolk, you could get away with 7 speeds UNTIL you want to go really fast, you alternately can change the top sprocket to a larger one and lengthen the chain also. You don't need low gears on flat land. When I;m IN SHAPE, I rarely get out of the 52 tooth sprocket, even on most hills.
    Lotta variables go into choosing a hc, but the MAIN one is money you can spend. If it wasn't for selling my land, I wouldn't have anything. Start with what you can afford. All the 'parts' are just regular bike parts anyway. www.bike-on.com sells used and are very helpful with any questions you might have also.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 02-15-2007 at 06:29 PM.