Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiropractor & SCI

Interesting thread.
    I went to a chiropractor just befor my injury. He had my shoulder and arm feeling 200% better than before.
    Then I fell and experienced a "stinger" - found that I had very severe stinosis in around C5 and had to have surgery to remove C4-T1 inclusive and get fitted with titanium fixtures - end up w/ Brown-Sequard. The xrays that the chiro took never showed the severity of the stinosis.

My Ortho dr. recently recommended a chiropractor for physical therapy when I complained of severe lower back pain. He gives me good advice on excercises I then do on my own. I get heat treatments and massages and all of this seems to help along with regular workouts. He and my doc are both marathoners and I think just being around these guys motivates me to work harder.
    I guess the right person can help. It's all a matter of knowledge and trust.
    You have to make sure they know what they're doing. The same dr. told me that he had to operate on someone who had a disc blown through his spinal cord by a chiropractor!

I was looking for some relief from some shoulder/back pain that I was experiencing. I thought it might be a pinched nerve or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnaz
    I was looking for some relief from some shoulder/back pain that I was experiencing. I thought it might be a pinched nerve or something.
    Are you SCI, Donnaz? Your profile doesn't say and you haven't indicated ...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    SOME chiropractors are quacks. I've met them & stay away. However, if you find a good one, they're awesome. There's one in my town that I've seen on & off for a few years now. I typically only go to see him if I need an adjustment - he's helped in numerous ways, most notibly with my seating. For example: if I've tended to lean to a side, it's often due to a twist in my pelvis (happens occasionally from transfers & dragging myself around) - easy fix & I sit straight again. I have C5-7 fused & he knows it... still get adjustments in my neck w/o problem.

The key is finding a quality chiro. I guarantee that if you met mine you'd think differently about them in general.
    Who's that Scott? Walker? I could certainly use a good one at times.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I'm very thankfull for my chiropractor. I was suffering from some severe neck pain and went to a neuro, he recommended I see one.
    After a couple x-rays we had the office visit. He basically told me of events that happened at x-many years ago and described my history. That was prior to filling out a history. I was very impressed.

I did ask him to check a shoulder once, won't again. I' think I've got too much upper body buildup, and perhaps the way we use our muscles cause us to be slightly different in treatment.

He did make one statement also. If you go someplace and they dont' take an x-ray, not to trust them.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye
    Who's that Scott? Walker? I could certainly use a good one at times.
    check your PMs

Do some research on Network Spinal Analysis and Torque Release method. It's not the old-school cracking and popping that is associated with chiropractors. It is perfectly safe even if you are SCI.

There are quacky doctors, lawyers and dentists. Whatevs man. Everyone should see a chiropractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie-Bug View Post

There are quacky doctors, lawyers and dentists. Whatevs man. Everyone should see a chiropractor.
    The key to a good chiropractor is to find one before you are suffering.

I went to a chiropractor when my back was really bad... my leg had started to go numb and I had to be helped into her she said my hips were mis aligned ..she worked on that and then pressed..crunched down exactly on the painful area of my back...she suggested there may be something else going on ..that night I went to A and E they after xrays etc sent me home telling me there was nothing wrong with me except a bit of a chest infection and I was exhausted and stressed out from work and just after getting divorced...my son had to get a wheelchait at the hospital as I could not walk properly on my own. next day again I went back to chiropracter she did the exact same treatment...that evening I went to a different A and E where after spending 2 days in A and E I finally got an mri which showed up the tumour on my spine. The doctors and consultants were horrified that a chiropracter had treated me with when I had loss of movement in my lower limbs...and they were also horrified that I got sent home from other hospital also...my chest infection was actually tumurs in each of my lungs.. my irritabowel was actuallly a tumour in my spleen....ONE TOTAL MISDIAGNOSED CASE.
    I would recommend a cranial osteopath as they do not do any hard pressing on your body its all very light movements.