Thread: How often? or Should I leave it...

How often? or Should I leave it...

It has now been a year since my surgery and I satisfaied on how things are turning out for me, but there is this concern that floats in mind. I have read of people being diagnosed with a cyst or failed fusion after a spinal cord injury and thus getting spinal compresssion.
    I am not experiencing any weakness or numbness anywhere but is it smart to have an MRI taken every now and then to keep things on check? I have a long fusion and have become very active and there is always a fear in my mind of something going wrong. It has now been a year and like I said things are going great but should an MRI be taken on a yearly basis? Or should I just leave it alone?
    Also, if spinal compression appears (Heaven forbid!!) will the symptoms starts back with weakness, increased spasms? Or is there something else to look for.

Gracias!

T5 Incomplete (06/02/03)- Walking with no assistance.

I know that Dr. Young tends to recommend an MRI annually, but they are expensive, and few insurances will pay for one for someone with SCI without justification (documentation of changes warranting this test by your physician). I would recommend an annual sensory and manual muscle test by a knowledgeable physician, and an evaluation (manual, Xrays if indicated) of your spine to look for any signs of instability.

(KLD)