Thread: Low Sodium Anyone?

Low Sodium Anyone?

I've been a C6-7 guy for 27 years and over the years my blood tests always indicate my plasma sodium levels are a bit low. I'm not on any type of diet and eat anything. With a normal range of 135-145, my results always come back 134, 132, 130, etc. It doesn't seem very significant and probably isn't. I was just wondering if it might be SCI related, if others with SCI have low sodium and what could cause it? Could it be from drinking eight 8oz. glasses of water each day? Thanks.

Hyponatremia (low sodium) is fairly common in people with SCI. It usually accompanies an acute illness though, instead off being chronic. You can take salt tablets for it, but you should get your physician's advice before doing this on your own. When people have acute hyponatremia we usually limit their fluids to less than 1500 cc. daily, but I would also not do this without your physician's advice.

(KLD)

Thanks for your prompt and insightful response. With my sodium always at the 129-132 level and a normal range of 135-145 is that acute hyponatremia (low sodium)? If so, what are the dangers? Thanks again.

In severe hyponatremia you can have weakness, confusion and hallucinations. Your body may be able to tolerate these borderline levels just fine.

(KLD)

My spinal cord injury doctor had my sodium levels checked as a precaution a few years back. He said that people with indwelling catheters are at risk for low sodium because they're constantly told to push a lot of fluids and they can "go overboard" on the amount they drink. My levels were fine, and I drink about four quarts of water a day.

I think you have to drink a lot of water in a short period of time to get dangerously low sodium levels.

Actually acute hyponatremia (and in some, chronic hyponatremia) due to drinking a lot of fluids is relatively rare, and not the same as the condition I am referencing. Here are some journal citations you may want to share with your physician:

Postural hypotension, hyponatremia, and salt and water intake

Hyponatremia-induced transient visual disturbances in acute spinal cord injury

Reset osmostat and salt and water retention in the course of severe hyponatremia

Hyponatremia in acute spinal cord injury

Postural hypotension and abnormalities of salt and water metabolism in myelopathy patients

(KLD)