Thread: Neck injury forces Palavi retirement

Neck injury forces Palavi retirement

Saturday 10th February 2007

Brumbies hooker David Palavi has been forced to retire due to a neck injury. The 27-year-old sustained the injury when a scrum collapsed in the Brumbies' trial match against the Waratahs on January 20.

While initial scans cleared Palavi of any permanent damage, further tests showed degeneration in his neck and a narrowing of his spinal column.

Palavi says he is still coming to terms with decision.

"I was absolutely gutted when I found out [that my footballing career was over]," he said.

"But the decision to retire was taken out of my hands and made for me by the medical staff. If I could I'd be putting on my boots and running out on Canberra Stadium tonight. But when the doc told me that my long-term health and being able to look after my family was at risk, then the decision was a pretty simple one."

Brumbies team doctor Warren McDonald says Palavi's safety would have been jeopardised had he been allowed to continue playing.

"In the end the decision wasn't too difficult," he said. "We determined that David's spinal cord was under significant threat and it was a situation where we decided that we couldn't let him go back to contact sport. While it's a devastating decision from his sporting point of view, his health is always the most important consideration."

http://www.planet-rugby.com:80/Story...906375,00.html

Brumbies Rugby
    Saturday February 10, 2007

Brumbies hooker David Palavi has been forced to retire due to a neck injury.
    The 27 year old sustained the injury when a scrum collapsed in the Brumbies’ trial match against the Waratahs on January 20. While initial scans cleared Palavi of any permanent damage, further tests showed degeneration in his neck and a narrowing of his spinal column.
    Palavi says he is still coming to terms with decision.

http://www.sportsaustralia.com/articles/news.php?id=655