Thread: Why some feel and some don't?

Why some feel and some don't?

I understand that sci people are hurt differently. I know the difference between complete and incomplete.
    As I read so many post some people don't know that they have a bedsore but some can feel a hemoroid.
    I am a complete T9. I knocked the toenail off of my big toe and did not feel it. I cath and dig stim and I can't feel it.I can feel my stomach hurt or if I have a hard stool trying to go down the decending colon.I am sure that if my appendic ruptured I would not know. On the serfice I feel almost to my pubic hair on the right side but can't feel on the left side starting at my belly button but then I can slightly feel something internal.
    My point is
    Why is it that some of you are hurt at a higher level and are complete yet can feel specific little things like a small hemorid.
    Didn't mean to ramble on, but can anyone tell me a little about this?

Actually, Mary, most people with SCI (esp. those injured in the last 10-15 years) have incomplete injuries.

There are certain patterns of sensory sparing that appear frequently. One is called "sacral sparing". Because the sacral sensory areas are supplied by the spinal cord tracts closer to the outer rim of the spinal cord, this area is sometimes spared. This results in sensation just around the peri-anus area (buttocks close to the and including the anus), and often absent in other areas below the injury. By the strict definition of the ASIA criteria, this is an (incomplete) ASIA B injury.

People with other common incomplete syndromes such as anterior cord syndrome, Brown-Sequard syndrome or central cord syndrome will also have sensation is characteristic areas below their level of injury. Others may have patchy sensation that does not fit into one of these, or may be a combination.

As with many other things related to the actual impairment of the spinal cord injury, this is pretty much "luck of the draw". In addition, sparing of sensation is not always good, as many have painful hypersensitivity as a result.

I hope this is the information you were looking for.

(KLD)

That's the nature of the beast.

I must agree with the nurse, it's not always a good thing to feel.

-Lewis

Thank you, KLD I do understand. The CNS is a complex bunch of life support neurons.
    We are blessed with what we are left with.
    I know that GOD blessed me.