Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of moving to San Diego or its suburbs

Thinking of moving to San Diego or its suburbs

KLD, what is the good, bad and the ugly of it?

What is the waiting list for Medi-Cal?

If I have medicare A & B (non-hmo) would that help tide me over?

Is there wheelchair accessible housing, sec 8 or otherwise?
    What is the waiting list for that?

NJ has a medicaid waiver for people who work. Make up to $46,000, own a house and a car, have up to $20k in liquid assets and STILL get full Medicaid.

Anything like that in Cali? What else am I missing?

I have relatives in Cali, should I use their address for a head start on waiting list?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. My cousin lives in San Juan Capistrano (sp) Can you imagine Sec 8 housing there?

Joe
    And the truth shall set you free.

Joe-
    The cost of living in Cali is OUTRAGEOUS!!! if ya want sunshine and no snow, move to FL It was almost 80 degrees yesterday, 75ish today....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

The good:

A beautiful area, with mountains (snow in winter), desert, ocean and metropolitan urban areas all within 40-50 miles of where every you live.

No snow. Daytime temps in the 50-60 F during the day during the winter, occasionally frost at night (depending on where you live). Rarely over 90 F in the summer, and it usually cools off at night. Rarely humid. Rain averages 8-10 inches per year (less this year...we are having a drought). You have to water a lot to have a garden.

Good theater and movies.

Traffic can be bad, esp. during rush hour to and from the north county coastal or inland areas or east county, but it is better than LA.

Decent art community, good modern art museums and galleries.

Good colleges and universities; an active intellectual community.

Good wheelchair accessibility for most facilities, restaurants, etc.

Good medical care (if you have insurance).

Lots of sports opportunities (both AB and disabled).

The Padres and (some say) the Chargers.

The bad:

It is VERY expensive to live here (housing wise). The median family house is in the $500,000 range. Rent for a 2 bedroom apt. in a decent (not fabulous) area will start at $1400/month and up.

Gas is $0.05-0.10 more per gallon than in LA (no one can tell us why).

Section 8 housing exists (yes, even in San Juan Capistrano), but waiting lists can run up to 5 years.

Waiting time for Medicaid is 30 days. You can use your Medicare until then, but would of course have to pay your own premiums (not paid by Medicaid). To establish residency you have to show rental receipts, utility bills, etc. in your name for at least that long. Don't try to fake it. They take Medicaid fraud VERY seriously in this state, and they do prosecute.

We have Ticket to Work programs here, but otherwise, the eligibility for Medicaid follows the $2000 in assets, own one car and one home criteria. IHSS is similar. You can get more information here: http://www.disabilitybenefits101.org/index.htm

Only fair public transportation, although most is wheelchair accessible. Waiting time for paratransit services is up to 6 weeks after application. Service is only fair (often miss pick-ups or are hours late).

(KLD)

http://www.disabilitybenefits101.org...50/program.htm

Got it!

Thanks! Now, how would one go about finding all the areas where I could get
    on Section 8 waiting lists? Is it one master list or one for each community/suburb etc.?

Joe

Contact the San Diego Access Center. They can give you the specific, and help you get onto the list. (you have to be living in San Diego county in order to get onto the list):

http://www.accesscentersd.org

(KLD)

Great! Thanks!

so to get it straight...... one already on medicaid and ssdi and ssi in another state, in order to move to california, would first have to get a residence in CA for 30 days then provide those rental reciepts and then can apply for the states services?
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

For Medicaid. You don't have to re-apply for SSDI. You do have to notify SS about your move and they have to re-authorize any SSI. Medicare requires no reapplication, but of course you need to do an address change with them.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by nicotico
    so to get it straight...... one already on medicaid and ssdi and ssi in another state, in order to move to california, would first have to get a residence in CA for 30 days then provide those rental reciepts and then can apply for the states services?
    It doesn't matter what state you are moving to, they require that you establish residency there for 30 days before you can apply for state services such as medicaid.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

so what coverage can/would/should i have during the 30 day vacumm ? it seems like there is a scary loophole to fall into when one who only has medicaid and ssdi wants to relocate
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened