Thread: Quantum Computer to debut next Tuesday?

Question Quantum Computer to debut next Tuesday?

Seems like a lot of people are very sceptical about this device. Check out the article and forum here.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

The video demonstration can now be seen on
    Google
    video. From what I have heard, the jury is still out. OTOH, it looks like More's Law is holding true, and that means Singularity is Near.

Chances are that weapons technology will have long blown us apart by the time the singularity is reached....unless warp drive and free energy discoveries happens first.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

It is not quantum computing:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6111
    To further complicate matters, an examination into the technical details of Orion reveals that it is not a true quantum computer in the traditional sense of the term. D-Wave Chief Executive Herb Martin said that the Orion is not a true quantum computer, but rather a special-purpose machine that uses quantum mechanics to solve problems.

"Users don't care about quantum computing—users care about application acceleration. That's our thrust," Martin said to the Associated Press. "A general purpose quantum computer is a waste of time. You could spend hundreds of billions of dollars on it" and not create a working computer.

D-Wave detailed in its original announcement that it is combining design ideas from silicon computing and applying them to quantum computing. While it may not be a true quantum computer, Martin said that the evidence the company has indicates that the device is performing quantum computations.