Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Got a Copy of Vista

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Hi, orangejello.

    I was looking at a VR forum yesterday and you can read about this user's experience with DNS 9.5 and Windows Vista. After listening to Paul Therrott a few days ago, I am not so sure you really need Windows Vista Ultimate. It sounds to me as though Windows Vista Home Premium may be OK. With Ultimate, you get DreamScene along with BitLocker that will allow you to encrypt important files, and a few more extras. I don't know if Vista Ultimate is really worth the extra money.
    Hi PN

    Thanks for the links. The Premium Home version is very good and has everything most users would need, I agree. But after playing around with it on my friend's laptop and doing some more reading about it, I am just going to say what the heck and go all out with Ultimate. The place I bought my laptop is offering a significant discount on Vista Ultimate if you bought a machine that qualified for the free Premium Home offer and decide to upgrade. So I am going to do that.

    As to whether it is really worth the extra money, I don't know. But I bought this machine with an eye to possibly doing work again at some point in the future. The people I would be working with are themselves going to Ultimate later this year. So things like the remote desktop and bitlocker, plus Ultimate's multi-language features would come in very handy for working from home. Instead of trying to upgrade later if I do start working again, I am just going to do it now.



    I believe chess comes on all versions of Windows Vista.
    It does not come with the Home Basic and Business versions according to the edition comparison chart. But that game alone might be worth the upgrade It is pretty nifty, I must say. There is also a very cool and addicting Mahjong game too.


    Keep us posted on Vista and its SR (speech recognition) because this has the potential to be better than Dragon. User feedback is helpful, and I hope to hear more, whichever way the cookie crumbles.
    Like I mentioned above, I have gotten the chance to play around with the voice software a bit. Out of the box and with a brief time spent on a few tutorials, I was able to do basic navigation and create a short text document that was about sixty percent accurate. That was with virtually no training and with me deliberately using big and problematic words. I will create another thread about it when I have some more time.
    Last edited by orangejello; 02-13-2007 at 08:37 PM.

  2. #12
    I been hearing from a lot in the field saying DO NOT upgrade to vista. These were floating around when XP first came out but like said above unless you got every thing in order you are looking at 6 months to a year before you have some stability with the new Vista. I have to fight the urge to open up my vista ultimate and install it I just have to many drivers to wait for.
    Teyrn

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by teyrn
    I been hearing from a lot in the field saying DO NOT upgrade to vista. These were floating around when XP first came out but like said above unless you got every thing in order you are looking at 6 months to a year before you have some stability with the new Vista. I have to fight the urge to open up my vista ultimate and install it I just have to many drivers to wait for.
    This is no different from any new OS release; there are going to be both detractors as well as those who are enthusiastic about it. Mine is set to go and I am hoping to install next week. I have all the drivers, except two that can wait, plus experience with installing and trouble shooting new operating systems. I am fully anticipating bugs. But I have also had the chance to use it already and liked what I saw (this comes from a die hard mac and linux user).

    Should somebody not familiar with the ins and outs of operating systems upgrade right now? Probably not unless they have access to somebody who does who can do the install and troubleshoot when bugs pop up. Six months is probably a good time for the first wave of issues to get resolved. But I don't think that upgrading right away might be such the disaster some are predicting. I will let you know next week if I am wrong about that
    Last edited by orangejello; 02-13-2007 at 08:36 PM.

  4. #14
    Workaround Discovered For "Clean Install" With Vista Upgrade DVDs

    1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
    2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.
    3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.
    4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
    5. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
    6. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
    7. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

    dailytech


  5. #15
    Senior Member Jadis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Salish Mtns, Montana
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    have you seen the latest Apple ad with the pc guy having another guy standing beside him constantly asking for permission? They're already ripping Vista. it sounds like the pop ups are really annoying. I already have mcafee popping up all the time. Don't need any more.
    the popups aare very annoying, but can be turned off rather easily.

  6. #16
    Suspended Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    9,722
    PN, cool, you found that how to do the clean install from upgrade thing...I wonder if MS will try to stop that or not.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Workaround Discovered For "Clean Install" With Vista Upgrade DVDs

    1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
    2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.
    3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.
    4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
    5. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
    6. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
    7. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

    dailytech

    Pimp! I have a copy of Vista Business on the way & will give this a shot if I install it when it shows up.

    Thanks... stupid Windows.

  8. #18
    Hi Andy!

    I believe that Microsoft released or leaked an internal memo on the workaround for the Vista upgrade. Paul Thurrott (SuperSite for Windows) stated that the clues for the workaround can be found in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

    Scott, how much RAM are you packing?

  9. #19
    on the new laptop, 1gb for now. Vista will cost me another $200 for (2) 1gb sticks, but then I'll have (2) 512mb sticks to put on ebay.

    To upgrade the standard 1gb to 2gb through Alienware would've cost me $210 anyway (plus I wouldn't have the initial sticks for ebay), so I decided to wait.... haha.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    on the new laptop, 1gb for now. Vista will cost me another $200
    I thought you had the free coupon upgrade?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 02:25 AM
  2. Vista 64 or Vista 32
    By DA in forum Computers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 03:35 PM
  3. Windows Vista SR
    By PN in forum Computers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 11:02 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 01:20 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2002, 07:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •