Thread: Sense of Smell

Sense of Smell

Dennis (C5/6) had his sense of smell for the first several months after his accident, but for the last several months, he does not have it.

He does have sense of taste fine, but no sense of smell. Is this common, to have it and then lose it?

the smell nerve, or olfactory nerve, is a type of nerve known as a cranial nerve. it does not run through the spinal cord and any level sci will not affect it. getting a facial/head injury, however, in addition to the sci, can affect it

He did not suffer any facial or head injuries in his fall and had the sense of smell for several months after the fall, which is what makes it so puzzling.

Meg-
    I lost my sense of smell in my fall, but as crags said, it is related to cranial nerves. I did have a head injury as well, which is how they have deterimined I lost mine. It is slowly coming back a little at a time....I can't smell much or all the time, but there are a few times that I can smell somthing, I can't always distinguish what it is, but I can smell something different...

BUT

It is also possible that a medication or combination of medications can cause loss of sense of smell. Has he changed medications? Try looking into the potential side effects of the medications he is on.

Hope this helps.

'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

There are some meds that can effect this. Also zinc deficiency has been implicated in loss of the ability to sense smell. I would not recommend zinc supplement without checking it out with your physician first though as it can cause toxicity in too large of amounts.

Aging can also cause loss of smell. How old is he?

Have you mentioned this to your SCI physician or neurologist?

(KLD)