Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you choose your child's name?

How did you choose your child's name?

Tell us how you chose the name for your child. Does the name have special meaning for your family or was it something you just thought was pretty?
    Both mom and dad have very curly hair, so our little one was named Cassidy which means the girl with the curly hair!

Talking

I may be off topic, but your question reminds me of a funny joke.

A young Native American was curious as to why Indians have such descriptive names. He approached his Chief and asked, "Chief Running Bear, why do we indians have such unusual names?"

The Chief replied.

"When a child is born - I look around the environment for guidence and inspiration. If a baby is born and I see a flying eagle, that child will be named Soaring Eagle. If a baby is born and I hear the cry of a wolf, that child will be named Howling Wolf. But tell me Two Dogs Fucking, why do you ask?"

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip
    I may be off topic, but your question reminds me of a funny joke.

A young Native American was curious as to why Indians have such descriptive names. He approached his Chief and asked, "Chief Running Bear, why do we indians have such unusual names?"

The Chief replied.

"When a child is born - I look around the environment for guidence and inspiration. If a baby is born and I see a flying eagle, that child will be named Soaring Eagle. If a baby is born and I hear the cry of a wolf, that child will be named Howling Wolf. But tell me Two Dogs Fucking, why do you ask?"
    Off topic and irreverent, Cowboy; Hampton's new and you've been with us a while, cut her some slack. Besides , did you see that photo in her PP?

I never had a child and, at sixty-three, don't think one's likely in this lifetime. Not a problem though; too damned many of our kind cluttering up the Earth's surface as it is.

Good luck with your naming Q. and search for a low sugar diet and welcome to the CCC.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Hampton-

While I do not have children, my parents gave us our middle names that match someone in our family. It is a tradition. It is to remind us of where we come from. Our first names are unique. That is to remind us that we are individuals with a bright future...one that we will grow and shape as we see fit.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

My daughter's name came from a song by Dan Seals- Everything that Glitters is not gold..."as for me and little casey we still make the circuit in a one horse trailer and a mobile home.....little casey shes still growing and shes started asking questions" I knew my boyfriend wasnt serious with me and the song matched how I was feeling while I was pregnant. She was supposed to be "Erica Danielle" but I am glad I changed it at the (literally) last minute as Casey fits her and I took my moms middle and my middle to make her middle name.

She even had a horse named Red like in the song too....We each freaked out when we realized the coincidence.... The song is a rodeo song and her favorite thing to do is go to the rodeo...and that was a coincidence too....
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

My husband and I both have common first names, shared by many in our age group. We gave our kids unique first names so they would never have to use their last name to identify themselves when making a personal phone call. Their names are not unusual, but one of a kind for their generation, just as they are.

My brother and I are named after cars, his first name is Lincoln and my middle is Bently.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Our heritage is Italian/Irish. My married last name is Italian. We chose to reflect the Irish heritage in the first or middle name. Our first son, we agreed on the name as we were driving over a curb on the way to the hospital. I was 8 weeks early, it was snowing in Boston and backing out took too long. His name means, "Gift from God" and he truly is/was. My youngest was a problem pregnancy so we chose the name because it means, "He who God remembers", we thought he would need it. His middle name is Galeic and a family last name. We were going to name our oldest Brendon but it means "smally hair" so we ditched the name. The girl names we had selected were also Galic. It was a combination of meaning and heritage.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I like simple names that aren't too common but not too 'hoity toity'. And they have to fit with the family name. All of the traditional names were taken by my uncles, aunts and cousins. My boys are Cole and Rowan. If I ever have a girl, Samantha is already taken, so I like Sasha.