Thread: are silicone coated enough to avoid latex allergy

are silicone coated enough to avoid latex allergy

I've been reading a lot of the old posts on catheter recomendations, and what I couldn't find is whether a silicone coated latex catheter would also eventually lead to a latex allergy, or if the coating is enough to prevent it. I use a Bard 20Fr Silicone coated latex supra-pubic catheter.

I've been thinking of switching to all silicone but I don't know if I could tolerate the stiffness, or the silastic green ones that were mentioned in other threads.

Also I just noticed the Silastic are coated over latex also so would this be a similar problem?
    Last edited by Cory-M; 02-06-2007 at 10:12 PM.

It is supposed to reduce the exposure to latex. So, yes it shoud help.

CWO

I guess I just wasn't sure if the silicone completely covered it to prevent exposure.

So you can use the silicone coated and reduce exposure enough, but if you do become sensative you better switch to all silicone.

Also I wonder what works better the regular light brown silicone coated or the green Silastic coated for slickness to prevent clogs and preventing latex exposure?

Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by Cory-M; 02-07-2007 at 12:58 AM.

I have a suprapubic catheter since 1989, and I used to use latex catheters and just last year I switched to the silicone coated and the amount of drainage around the insertion site dropped dramatically, the end I switched to solid silicone and I have noticed a huge difference. So I would recommend it, wouldn't hurt to try