Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight Watchers

Weight Watchers

Ok, I joined weight watchers online. Here's the problem. In order to do this, I need a scale. To see what my progress is. I doubt the centers have one. Many of the hospitals I've been in as well don't have one. Any advice? I have no idea how much I weigh, on the site I took a guess, which I know is dumb... Any answers on how to go about this would be great, Thanks, Tiff
    "Everyone learns faster on fire".

"First she spoke with a voice, then she spoke with her own".

Tiff,
    I don't know what your level or balance is, but I use a regular digital scale. I sit on the scale, and then hold my legs up as close to my chest as I can, sitting real still. Then I get off the scale without tipping the scale. The weight stays on the scale long enough for me to see. Sometimes I have to do it a couple times.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi Tiff,

If you have a handy friend he could hammer a few 2x4s or 2x8s together in the shape of an "H", balance the cross beam across the scale and as you wheel up on it you'll find the balancing pont. Have your handy friend bevel the leading edges so you could easily wheel up on them. You'd need to "zero" out the scale or weigh the "H contraption" and your wheelchair separately and subtract that amount from your total.

Good luck.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike
    Tiff,
    I don't know what your level or balance is, but I use a regular digital scale. I sit on the scale, and then hold my legs up as close to my chest as I can, sitting real still. Then I get off the scale without tipping the scale. The weight stays on the scale long enough for me to see. Sometimes I have to do it a couple times.

Hope this helps.

Mike
    That's and awesome idea. I am gonna try that asap, thanks. When I get the scale, I will let you know if it works. Tiff

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Hi Tiff,

If you have a handy friend he could hammer a few 2x4s or 2x8s together in the shape of an "H", balance the cross beam across the scale and as you wheel up on it you'll find the balancing pont. Have your handy friend bevel the leading edges so you could easily wheel up on them. You'd need to "zero" out the scale or weigh the "H contraption" and your wheelchair separately and subtract that amount from your total.

Good luck.

Bob.
    That would probably require a big scale for that right? Is that what you do? I wish I had alot of money so I can but one of those huge scales. One can only dream.... thanks Bob.

You can buy a wheelchair scale (fairly cheap) and they might barter with you if you call ... www.quickmedical.com and look for the S3300 wheelchair beams scale. $499US +shipping .... I bought one off of Ebay years ago except I unplugged it and shouldn't have. The chargeable batteries died and it didn't work for like three years. I was about to order a new one (at $750 CAN by the time I paid for shipping - ouch!) when in the eleventh hour the gentleman I live with fixed it. Some printed circuit wires had come undone so he 'hard-wired' it.

So I saw my weight for the first time in like four years yesterday. I'm sure there was another adult on the scale ... there just had to be! It wasn't good news regardless ... I think I suddenly found that motivation I was looking for. Disgusted! That's a reason I haven't joined the popular weight loss places .. no scale! OR, likewise, you could ask the place where you signed up for weight loss to consider purchasing one? Usually the wheelchair scales you see in the hospital cost well over $1000 ... so I like this cheaper model.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michtif
    That would probably require a big scale for that right? Is that what you do? I wish I had alot of money so I can but one of those huge scales. One can only dream.... thanks Bob.
    he's got it. use a regular scale. the crossbar of the H shape is centered on the small scale, the vertical parts of the H are where your wheels go. A friend can balance you on the scale then. You could also use a piece of plywood atop the scale, with a hole cutout to view the numbers.
    >in case you're not as good a driver as ol BobKat there <
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 02-06-2007 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    ...he could hammer a few 2x4s or 2x8s together in the shape of an "H"...
    Thanks, Bob - this is an excellent idea, and I want to set that up in my home. Tiff, if you're in a power chair, you'll need to transfer to a manual chair for the weighing operation, as the scales likely can't manage both you & the power chair simultaneously (unless you're a real lightweight). You may need someone to help stabilize you while on the scales.
    - Richard

Tiff-
    If I remember correctly, you're not THAT far from Jackson Rehab/Miami project...(although my brain COULD be failing me here...) If I'm right, their outpatient therapy center SHOULD have a w/c scale that they'd let you use...you'll need to also weigh your chair w/out you in it so that you can get the weight of it and subtract to get your actual weight.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I have always believed that there is too much focus on actual poundage in any health kick. Muscle weighs more that fat etc. Looking in the mirror and pinching the flabby areas is still the most accurate gauge as to how any health resolutions are going.