Thread: New hope for spinal cord injury patients

New hope for spinal cord injury patients

New hope for spinal cord injury patients

Published 02/2/2007 | Cure Research , February 2007 | Unrated

ISLAMABAD: Tiny nerves taken from the rib cage, fortified with a powerful growth inducer and transplanted in the spinal cord significantly reversed paralysis in rats with spinal cord injuries.
    That’s the finding of a study in the October issue of the Journal of Neurotrauma.

The study shows that nerve cells can be inserted and stimulated to grow in damaged areas of the spinal cord, and the discovery may lead to improved treatments for people with spinal cord injuries.

Using this method, researchers from the University of California-Irvine (UCI) and the Long Beach Veterans Administration Medical Center were able to partially restore hind leg movement in rats with severed spinal cords.

more:

http://www.thescizone.com/news/artic...atients/1.html

Yay! That's terrific. Now let's use it! Scott.

From what I have read here for the past few years...just about anything you put in the spinal cord will someday help people regain function.

But when will we use these findings to cure people instead of keep looking for more avenues.

This is like some sick joke. And we are the ones being laughed at.

starting to sound like a james carney movie?

it is always those rats, those lucky rats
    cauda equina

New Hope!

Looking more like this will be it. Oh wait maybe we can throw a fundraiser too!

Please, this is a very old story and has been discussed extensively here. In 1995, Henreich Cheng, Lars Olsen, and colleagues reported that they were able to regenerate the spinal cord using peripheral nerve bridges and a cocktail of growth factors. The study was hailed as evidence that the spinal cord can regenerate and restore function. Unfortunately, no laboratory was able to replicate these results until last year, when a group at UC Irvine reported that they were able to repeat the study. In the meantime, Dr. Cheng has been doing this procedure in patients in Taiwan. Do a search for "Cheng" and "Taiwan" on this site.

Wise.

from 95 till '07 no more improvements of the method? it was a fake?
    it's about 12 ears.We are waiting in vain??

Unless we push harder and get more people pushing we will see this. we need a clinical network.

Beth asked awhile back about what people meant when she heard reaserch for the sake of research.

my explaination, i have seen and you others have at the bottom of a publication something to the effect of ready for human clinical trial, but nada

why from the mouth of a friend who's a researcher, because it's hard to do a clinical trial.

she/he could much easier get a grant to further study why this treatment might work or explore possible ways to improve it.

they would love to see this treatment tried in humans but not many institutions can pull this off logistically let alone financially.

we need to get that federal funding for a sci clinical network

remember we're sci and we're at the bottom of the therapy food chain, IMO

I don't blame or fault her for going for that grant, she has her own bills to pay no matter how deep her compasion to help.

see u in DC
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."