Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How do quads get into vans with ramps?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    does anyone know a manufacturer that still makes hill-holders? I can't find any...i have an uplander with the braun conversion. Most of the time its ok but if i have to park on a down incline or dont have enough room to get a running start im screwed. i dont want to go for power assist just for my van.
    Quickie still offers grade-aids [a.k.a. hill-holders] on their brakes. They sell it as one unit: brakes + grade-aid. They also sell caster locks with a combined caster axle to keep the front casters from spinning around from foward position --to rolling backwards position.

If I can get a driving assessment and van modification evaluation done, than I will either be shopping for a mini-van with ramp or a full sized van with a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    Quickie still offers grade-aids [a.k.a. hill-holders] on their brakes. They sell it as one unit: brakes + grade-aid. They also sell caster locks with a combined caster axle to keep the front casters from spinning around from foward position --to rolling backwards position.

If I can get a driving assessment and van modification evaluation done, than I will either be shopping for a mini-van with ramp or a full sized van with a lift.
    Cool, thanks peggy! Might be a stupid question, but would quickie brakes work on a ti-lite frame which is what i have?
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

I came across this product a few weeks ago. It looks like it would work. Here's the description and link to site;

Power Pull Ramp Assistant For Wheelchair Van Ramps
    Retractable Cable for Extra Help with Getting Inside Wheelchair Vans
    http://www.mobilityworks.com/powerpu...-assistant.php
    Renee

Since this thread has been resurrected from the original February 2007 posting, I'll add that I use a power chair and have a ramp with a kneeling feature that I can use or not use as I choose. I have no problem with using the ramp at all with the power chair. That said....I used to use a manual chair (I am c-6/7 complete) and I had a van with the power kneeling feature and I had no problem getting up the ramp with the van in full kneel mode. You may have to position your axles to give your chair and you the proper equilibrium (Anti tippers are not optional).

All the best,
    GJ

Ashley can you post what kind of brakes are on your Tilite? If you feel comfortable with this, send me your address and I'll give you a pair of hill holders I no longer use.

*I've met Wise and several other CC'ers in real life. They can vouch for me, I'm not a creepy weirdo.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    as mentioned the folding ramp can be extended just for quads, braun will modify this as it is built, i know this because a friend has one and he has the second part of the folding ramp longer and he goes right in, but he cannot get in my vmi underneath floor ramp.it will significantly reduce the angle with the kneel.....go to a dealer and look and ask, they will tell you this is true, and u can try one there if its a good dealer it will have one with the longer ramp......for quads.....
    This is good to know. I never heard anyone mention it. Someone once told me that the reason the ramps are not made longer to lessen the slope is because longer ramps would make it difficult or impossible to get on/off them in even in ADA van spec parking places. There would not be enough space between the end of the ramp and an adjacent vehicle for most wheelchairs to turn.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

plus the new ones u can swing the ramp out of the way, and a walker can use the door and it not be blocked......i would say the longer ramp u would have to find the space for it to get in and out, something to keep in mind i guess, i use 2 parking spots if here are no handicapped spots.....