Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: How do quads get into vans with ramps?

  1. #11
    I'm interested in the Magic Wheels. What can you tell me about them (pros / cons). Are they heavy?

  2. #12
    I have problems w/ my manual chair & minivan ramps as well. If I didn't have anti-tippers, my skull would be cracked open by now.

    $5k for magic wheels or any assist wheels *just* so you can get into a minivan is stupid, IMO. Find a different vehicle & put $5k to better use elsewhere.

  3. #13
    Pros are there are no batteries to die or charge, they are completely sealed so there is no maintenance, and when not in gear work just like regular wheels. They weigh a little bit more than regular wheels, but much less than e-motions. Also, when in gear they have built in hill holders. Plus, my dme got insurance to pay for them.

    Only con I have is the extra weight. I have had them since August without a single problem.

  4. #14
    I've never had much problem getting up unless it was raining & my pushrims got wet. In that case I get a good running start & make it up on momentum.

    Always be sure you are not pushing up a ramp & up a hill. That is much harder. If the ramp is let down on a slope, it effectively makes the ramp even steeper.

    I think different systems have different length ramps. Longer ramp + kneel + lower floor = easier to get up.

  5. #15
    Hi,

    While I have no experience with the ramp you are asking about, I do have loads of experience with another very popular conversion.

    I have known quite a few quads over the years and each seems to have a death wish they way they either drive, j walk, want to cross on the blinking cross walk, drive too fast in electric chairs, or refuse to allow me to put up legally required ramp rails to avoid the walking from falling off or those with WCs driving off the edge with a low wheel rail. I do believe many quads also suffer from brain injuries that they don't know about and don't want to find out about. I have also seen most but not all the quads & paras have denial of their alcohol abuse.

    Without seeing the ramp you are asking about I am wondering if this may be a reckless choice by those in Wheel Chairs

    My friend has a 2000 Dodge mini van. It is a VIM conversion. He drives from his electric wc locked and belted. The right side air shocks deflate to give an almost level entry.

    I don't know why but he intends to buy a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan with 37K+ miles for about $25,000. I do not understand because the only difference is fatter headlights and back lights that are a little different.

    We are in California so rust is not a problem.

    I wish you well,

    Bill Horn
    my second post and first reply
    billhorn@hotmail.com
    Last edited by Bill Horn; 02-04-2007 at 06:26 AM.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    I have problems w/ my manual chair & minivan ramps as well. If I didn't have anti-tippers, my skull would be cracked open by now.

    $5k for magic wheels or any assist wheels *just* so you can get into a minivan is stupid, IMO. Find a different vehicle & put $5k to better use elsewhere.
    I hear ya, but I need to get out of the electric. Functioning as a t4, there is just no reason...
    And the truth shall set you free.

  7. #17
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Horn
    I have known quite a few quads over the years and each seems to have a death wish they way they either drive, j walk, want to cross on the blinking cross walk, drive too fast in electric chairs, or refuse to allow me to put up legally required ramp rails to avoid the walking from falling off or those with WCs driving off the edge with a low wheel rail. I do believe many quads also suffer from brain injuries that they don't know about and don't want to find out about. I have also seen most but not all the quads & paras have denial of their alcohol abuse.
    Welcome Bill ... but somehow I don't feel the above is exactly going to get you welcomed by everyone. Some pretty sweeping generalizations, but to each his/her own.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Horn
    I do believe many quads also suffer from brain injuries that they don't know about and don't want to find out about. I have also seen most but not all the quads & paras have denial of their alcohol abuse.
    Haha......were you drunkenly recovering from a brain injury when you cooked up this generalisation?
    C5/6 incomplete

    "I assume you all have guns and crack....."

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz
    I hear ya, but I need to get out of the electric. Functioning as a t4, there is just no reason...
    so get a car that you can't transport a power chair with... that'll force yourself to use a manual if you want to go anywhere.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    so get a car that you can't transport a power chair with... that'll force yourself to use a manual if you want to go anywhere.
    Thats exactly what I did 5 years ago. My electric chair broke down and left me helpless at work 2 hours from home in the middle of a hall. I parked the chair (left it broken) sold my van, bought the TA and got my ZRA. Sure it was hard but it only took me 1 summer to learn to transfer on my own, after 7 years in a power chair and a van. It can be done and its not necessarily a strenght thing, but a matter of technique.

    I just think that the aftermarket van conversion folks purposely engineer the ramps this way to deter driving from a manual chair and to push insurance and state rehab to recommend power chairs...its all about the money...from the DR to the buyer..pimps amd whores...we are all just pimps and whores...
    C5-6 - 22 years

Similar Threads

  1. quads with vans
    By starfish in forum Equipment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-27-2006, 02:19 PM
  2. vans, vans, vans...
    By kimmyprettyface in forum Life
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-29-2005, 10:57 PM
  3. QUAD'S UNITE
    By RaiderQuad in forum Announcements & Feedback
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 01:24 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 04:38 PM
  5. DISCOUNT RAMPS......
    By BirdeR in forum Web Links
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2002, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •