Thread: Inflammation. Do I need second opinion?

Inflammation. Do I need second opinion?

In April 2006 I was diagnosed with orchitis, an inflammation of the testicle, caused by a severe UTI.

However, at this moment the swelling of my left testicle still persists. Two ultrasounds and a bloodtest confirmed the diagnose of orchitis, my urologist told me several times.

This urologist is specialized in SCI. According to him, it takes a long time before the swelling goes away. But I'm still worried and thinking of testicular cancer, althought the urologist told me this isn't the case.

Do you reccomend a second opinion or do I still have to wait for the swelling to go away?

Advice please!

If a second opinion is available and would give you peace of mind, I say it can't hurt.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Hi,

How long were you treated for the orchitis? antibiotics are usually prescribed from 4-6 weeks for full resolution, depending on the symptoms. Are you still having any symptoms? It can take a while for all swelling to resolve but if it has not made any progress with the antibiotics or you're still symptomatic, I would return to your urologist (who may want to do an ultrasound) or get a second opinion. Unfortunately, these thigns take a while for all swelling to resolve.

aAD

Nurse and other readers,

In April they prescribed antibiotics (Cipro) for only two weeks. My GP forgot to check my urine at that time.

But the UTI was still there and after a week or two the swelling was even bigger, so they gave me antibiotics for six weeks. So probably something went wrong in the beginning.

Now the swelling didn't change for, let's say, 4 months or so. I don't have any other symptoms. Fortunately I don't have any pain, because of my SCI (th6-7).