Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital removal of stool

Digital removal of stool

This has been needed more and more in the last weeks - digging out "jellybeans." I'm worried that I might do internal damage with my hooked finger, although I try not to push too hard on the internal wall. Is there a preferred orientation, or does it make no difference? I've been "hooking" towards the back.
    Yeah, gotta work on the constipation. Methadone really bogs* things down.
    - Richard

* for the Brits among us

This site should answer your questions. Please ask anything further you may need.
    http://www.unitedspinal.org/publicat...ng-guidelines/

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    This site should answer your questions.
    It does indeed. I'm doing it the way they suggest. Thanks for the link, AAD!
    - Richard

BTW, I recognize a certain KLD in the acknowledgements in those guidelines!

Well, I've been doing it wrong and have damaged the internal area. What do you do if you have blood on the finger? Just be more gentle?

I have still yet to figure out the right way to do it. No blood but plenty of "insertions" required. Will try the push against the spine part. It makes sense. First time I have heard of that tip.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    I have still yet to figure out the right way to do it. No blood but plenty of "insertions" required. Will try the push against the spine part. It makes sense. First time I have heard of that tip.
    I have been experimenting with new ways as of lately. I will also try pushing towards the spine. I found, the other day, that when I pushed forward, towards the chest, that it helped the stool come down. However, today I am bleeding from the anus. This REALLY sucks.

Hard stool is can do damage. Read your other BP thread. Eat papaya dude. You have nothing to lose but your BP problems.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

o baby you must be careful! because of my fingers not having strong dexterity i use my thumb instead. i think this is good because it isn't very long and when you hook your thumb, it doesn't take the space to do so like the finger would. i do circular motions with my thumb to stim.

although i don't wait the 5-10 mins recommended on the link, i use a suppository and that gets most of the stool out on its own, so i do minimal stimming. i also use only one glove, not two...i never thought i'd need two.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    o baby you must be careful! because of my fingers not having strong dexterity i use my thumb instead. i think this is good because it isn't very long and when you hook your thumb, it doesn't take the space to do so like the finger would. i do circular motions with my thumb to stim.

although i don't wait the 5-10 mins recommended on the link, i use a suppository and that gets most of the stool out on its own, so i do minimal stimming. i also use only one glove, not two...i never thought i'd need two.
    I wish.... I've used over 20 gloves today....

Does it hurt to keep digital stimming after the anas wall has relaxed and opened up? I keep going for awhile ( probably 15 seconds) thinking it will help bring more stool down.