Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Just a little fishy...

Thanks for your response Steven. I know that there is a lot more that you understand that I don't. Nonetheless, I am trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    I believe I have posted this before, but I'll try again. Since this answer will be quick, it won't be as detailed.

Cord blood, once transplanted into the spinal cord, apparently retains it phenotype. Most stem cells begin differentiating immediately, but months later, the transplanted cord blood is still cord blood for a prolonged period of time.

Lithium stimulates cord blood to produce a combination of factors that has been shown in various animal studies to induce regeneration, either directly or indirectly.

Because cord blood remains as cord blood, it can be theoretically be stimulated to produce the factors multiple times through lithium injections, mimicking a sustained release paradigm to allow long-distance growth, if needed.

Cord blood can also be stimulated by non-lithium products to produce other factors. If they find that other factors are necessary, they can use other injections to stimulate the cord blood to produce it, preventing multiple surgeries and allowing those who participate in the trials access to the full cure when it becomes available.

I believe that about covers it.

question for wise young,
    Do you have an update on the beike group? You said that the fact that they charge for an experimental producure is unethical. What places do you recomend or know about, are that places that do not charge? My cousin has MSA. also I know a man that is going to china for stem cell treatment, from flordia also (MSA), he spoke with a recient patient with Frecricks ataxia, she is back to work. any advise is appreciated.
    also what is HLA matching?
    Thank you Renee

Quote Originally Posted by rb2476
    question for wise young,
    Do you have an update on the beike group? You said that the fact that they charge for an experimental producure is unethical. What places do you recomend or know about, are that places that do not charge? My cousin has MSA. also I know a man that is going to china for stem cell treatment, from flordia also (MSA), he spoke with a recient patient with Frecricks ataxia, she is back to work. any advise is appreciated.
    also what is HLA matching?
    Thank you Renee
    Renee,

To my knowledge, the Beike group is continuing what they have been doing. They are going CD34+ cells from fresh umbilical cord blood and then infusing the cells intravenously or intrathecally into patients with a variety of neurological conditions. They apparently do this multiple times while the patients are in the hospital and provide physical therapy for the patients while they are in the hospital. Several hospitals in China carry out this procedure, including their main hospital in Shenzhen.

I was critical of them for charging for the treatment without having obtained evidence of efficacy, making claims like 100% safe and 80% effective, and not investing in rigorous neurological examinations and followups of the patients. In my opinion, they are not doing clinical trials but simply charging patients for an experimental therapy. I am concerned that they are not doing HLA-matching of the cord blood. Without matching, the cells (particularly those that are injected intravenously) are almost certainly rejected. I just don't think that they are doing anything.

By the way, umbilical cord blood transplants have now been done for over 20 years, to replace bone marrow. To do that, one must use HLA-matched cells and do myeloablation (to get rid of the existing bone marrow). When such transplants are done, the umbilical cord blood stem cells take over the bone marrow and change the blood type and HLA-type of the blood cells. In addition, they shower the body with mesenchymal stem cells. Thus, for genetic diseases such as muscular dystrophy, this is a reasonable therapy since the stem cells from the bone marrow may replace those in muscle.

Thus, if one is treating a genetic disorder, it should be done properly... with myeloablation and HLA-matched cord blood. What the Beike group is doing is simply wrong and doesn't make sense scientifically. That is why I have been critical of what they have been doing. Note that all this is in the absence of any credible data that their treatments are benefiting the patients. If they had documented the recovery of their patients, I would have been less critical and more willing the accept such recovery, even if I do not understand why. However, in the absence of such data and a scientific rationale for the treatment, and charging of patients for an unproven experimental therapy, I recommend that people do not avail of this therapy.

For amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and spinomuscular atrophy, I would recommend lithium. A recent study from Fornas, et al. in April 2008 suggest that a standard lithium dose (about a gram a day) will stave off progression of motoneuronal loss in ALS. It may do so for SMA as well. I am not sure. The mechanisms is believed to be because lithium stimulates a phenomenon called autophagy in neurons.

Wise.