Thread: Colostomy vs. Percutaneous Endoscopic Colostomy?

Question Colostomy vs. Percutaneous Endoscopic Colostomy?

Colostomy vs. Percutaneous Endoscopic Colostomy (PEC)?

My colostomy surgery is set for later this month. Tonight I Googled "colostomy alternatives" and got a lot of links. Several were regarding this PEC surgery which seems to have a lot of advantages over a straight colostomy.

http://www.incontact.org/fact-file/p...rspective.html

A Percutaneous Endoscopic Colostomy (PEC) is carried out to help relieve severe bowel problems. An incision is made into the colon and a tube is inserted, through which patients can irrigate their colon once or twice a day. It offers an alternative to a colostomy, where faeces are collected in a bag. With a PEC, patients can empty their bowels into the toilet. Then the tube is taped out of the way. It is still a relatively new and innovative procedure.

Here's another link although there were many others when I did my search.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Does anyone have any info on this?

Hi,

I have heard of this procedure. To my knowledge, there is no good data looking at this in the SCI population. There is currently a NIH sponsored clinical trial at the Milwaukee VA looking at this issue, expected to finish in 2009.
    http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui...8E83C6?order=5

There are also some pertinent references given at the end of the text.

Maybe someone else has more information.

AAD
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 01-31-2007 at 11:59 AM.

We have done one ACE procedure at our center (this is the usual term for this procedure, which is making a stoma through which you give yourself a daily enema and then evacuate through the anus). I have never heard it called a PEC before. They have been done in England primarily, mostly with kids with spina bifida. Sometimes it is called a Malone procedure. You can Google on both. The man who had his done used it for about 9 months, but never did get the control he needed (he did it for uncontrolled accidents, in spite of a good bowel program), so he then elected to have it converted to a regular colostomy.

I can just add that whenever possible, we do the percutaneous (laproscopic) colostomy vs. the traditional colostomy surgery in people with SCI. Recovery time is significantly shorter. Unfortunately since a lot of people with SCI have had previous abdominal surgeries, this may preclude them from being a candidate, as adhesions from these surgeries can make it impossible to use this technique.

(KLD)