Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Give a Damn's Busted

Smile I hear ya!

This is something I have really struggled with. It seems like my co-workers, friends and family complain about all these things that really seem trivial when we with SCI have daily "REAL" issues. It has hardened me at times and I knew I had to change. It was then that it hit me like a freight train, EVERYONE has problems in life( which I knew of course) but their seemingly trivial issues to me, are HUGE issues to them, because they are THEIR issues. When it comes to problems, we all seem to become somewhat ecocentric. Our problems are the biggest problems in the world, because they are OUR problems, our yoke to carry. Car troubles, relationship issues, my cat is sick, my mother in law is a pain blah blah blah, things that we with SCI still have to deal with in addition to AD, infections, decubs, meds, therapy, blah blah blah..... we are not exempt from "normal" problems, even though we have a whole new array of problems to deal that go along with SCI, problems others don't have to deal with.
    We've all heard the quote "God doesn't give you more than you can handle".....sometimes what gets me through the day is a quote by Mother Teresa that follows that previous one " I just wish He didn't trust me so much" This really helps me to be more empathetic to others problems, I can't change my situation, but I can take some comfort in the fact that God trusts me enough to put all these "issues" on my plate and I still manage to get up out of bed everyday, put a smile on and face the world..... and even listen to someone whine about their "problems"
    There is nothing wrong with 2nd place.....unless you are in it.

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf
    Quite apart from the sentiments described above - with which I agree - compare the problems that 99% of the people here have with hers - this woman needs to be told that, although your company is sympathetic and can bend a little, she has been hired to do a job, and must learn to separate that from her personal life. If she is unable to perform her duties, she will have to try somewhere else. Tough and perhaps unfortunate, but that's life.
    That's a great image, ThatKat!
    - Richard
    my thoughts exactly...you know if one of us SCIers, or anyone with a disability for that matter, wasn't able to meet the essential function of a job we were hired to do we'd be outta there in a heart beat. Gotta treat her the same!

I can so empathize with you. I train people on my job occassionally and get tired of hearing constant whinning about very trivial things. While I understand that every body has stuff to complain about, the constant stupid whines are the ones that irritate me. Stuff like...the cat jumped on my bed waking me 10 minutes before the alarm went off. I just want to scream when stuff like that is said to me. Instead I smile and pretend to listen when I really don't give a damn.