Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dr Martin Schwab - Switzerland.

Dr Martin Schwab - Switzerland.

Few days ago I send email to dr Schwab. Here is the answer.

Dear Michal

Thank you for your email.

Let me give you an update on the current situation.

Update on current state of research with anti-Nogo antibodies: start of clinical trials in summer 2006

The first successful nerve fiber outgrowth experiments in spinal cord injured rats were done 15 years ago. Since then we have been studying in detail the mechanisms involved in outgrowth of nerve fibers. It has always been our aim to develop a treatment for human patients. A very important milestone has been achieved, namely that we have been able to develop such a treatment and that this Nogo-antibody therapy is now being applied for patients. In spite of these good news, we must be careful because we do not yet know whether this therapy leads to a functional recovery in humans after spinal cord injury.

We must be able to exclude side effects
    Phase I of the clinical studies is also called “feasibility study” and aims at guaranteeing the technical operability and the tolerance of the therapy.
    The first patients treated with the anti-Nogo therapy have tolerated the therapy well and did not show any side effects related to the therapy. But it is still too early to take stock. In the animal experiments we have never seen any side effects.

Shortly after Phase I of the clinical studies has been terminated Phase II will start. The tolerance of the planned dosage will already be tested in Phase I. In Phase II a larger number of patients shall be treated over a longer time period in different clinics in Europe and North America. Neurological and functional measurements will be performed in regular intervals to investigate whether the therapy leads to a functional recovery of the patients over time.
    What do we expect from the Nogo-antibody therapy?
    After spinal cord injury often a lot of nerve tissue is damaged. The glial scar - which is built during the first hours and days after the injury – is a mechanical barrier for the spontaneous and the Nogo-antibody induced outgrowth of nerve fibers. It is very improbable that all injured nerve fibers can be induced to regenerate or sprout. In addition the regenerating nerve fibers must make functional connections with still intact nerve cells or nerve fibers. For a measurable functional recovery often already 10% regeneration of nerve fibers is sufficient. We therefore hope that at least part of the patients may be able to control their bladder or stand and walk with crutches. This hope builds on the surprisingly good results we have seen in Nogo-antibody treated animals.
    As mentioned earlier, already at an early time point the experiments in the lab were designed to contribute to treat spinal cord injured patients. After we have been able to show functional recovery through regeneration in rodents we surprised by the degree of regeneration in macaque monkeys after Nogo-antibody treatment. Before starting with the clinical trials toxicological studies with high doses of the antibody were done which did not lead to any sort of side effects.

We have not yet been able to show that the anti-Nogo antibody therapy leads to a functional recovery in adult spinal cord injured patients. We are excitedly awaiting this big step.
    Currently only freshly injured patients are included in the ongoing clinical trials. This because our experience is built on fresh injuries.

The patients treated so far did not show any sort of side effect, which is very promising.

Unfortunately, we do not know anything concerning a possible time point when chronic patients may be integrated in such a clinical trial.
    Ab alio exspectes, alteri quod feceris.

That's sounds good!!

Thanks Oxigen!

Things are moving in the right directin here

I remember the news article 15 years ago about making the rats walk, I was so impressed I posted it on the wall at my business. I remember one of my workers saying "boss if they can get rats to walk, your next" lol. well its been 15 years now and I'm still not walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    I remember the news article 15 years ago about making the rats walk, I was so impressed I posted it on the wall at my business. I remember one of my workers saying "boss if they can get rats to walk, your next" lol. well its been 15 years now and I'm still not walking.
    Yup, but what struck me was that Schwab is executing a clinical trial without a CC sponsored clinical trial network.

Quite amazing!!!

First cethrin goes into clinical trial, now NOGO,.........and both without the much touted need for a clinical trial network......

Makes you wonder, doesn't it

Maybe we don't actually need the middlemen on this.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Chronics are not on the radar screen for this. There will first have to be something to make the scar penetrable, which doesn't exist yet. Chondriotinase hasn't gotten off the ground yet.

Great news for chronics though.

Oxygen, thanx for the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    Chronics are not on the radar screen for this. There will first have to be something to make the scar penetrable, which doesn't exist yet. Chondriotinase hasn't gotten off the ground yet.

Great news for chronics though.

Oxygen, thanx for the effort.
    Isn't Dr. Stephen Davies working on breaking down the glial scar? I know that you were very excited when you came back from seeing him. Has something changed?

I do not believe that there is not anything that exists yet for the glial scar. I really am happy for the acutes in the future but I think we should be supporting and on a team for chronics. I am interested in backing up a scientist with a CHRONIC cure. It makes more sense because after 2 weeks we all become chronics.

David, you cannot say that this doesn't exist yet. They are working on it. I know the science is a long ways away....I think para's will get up through technology though sooner than getting a regenerative therapy that will let you feel again.

I don't think that you believe in a cure scientifically speaking at all in your lifetime. I really enjoy your posts but in almost every single one of them you state "long ways away" and "no existence of anything" ....believe me we don't know half the stuff going on, we can all be seriously being BS in many ways and many directions. You cannot believe anything in my opinion. I may see a full cure by the time I am 45-50 but will already be walking through robotic technology probably in the next 5 years. Science is too slow for mankind. If you read between the lines, a lot of theses scientists are always stating their own uncertainty with their research and that alone is a red flag that they are not confident enough in what they are doing. ( some, not all. ) I think technology is going to kill the rodent. After making a rodent walk and here we are 20+ years later. Paaaaaaleaaaaseee RED FLAG.
    Last edited by spidergirl; 01-30-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Yup, but what struck me was that Schwab is executing a clinical trial without a CC sponsored clinical trial network.

Quite amazing!!!

First cethrin goes into clinical trial, now NOGO,.........and both without the much touted need for a clinical trial network......

Makes you wonder, doesn't it

Maybe we don't actually need the middlemen on this.
    The North American Clinical Trials Network is not sponsored by CC Faye and you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    The North American Clinical Trials Network is not sponsored by CC Faye and you know that.
    How come the CRPA and CC never acknowledged there already was a clinical trial network for sci in the US?

The mantra on CC has always been: we need a clinical trial network....

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

Hi Oxygen. Thanks for the update.
    Last edited by antiquity; 01-30-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    How come the CRPA and CC never acknowledged there already was a clinical trial network for sci in the US?

The mantra on CC has always been: we need a clinical trial network....
    Cethrin did just fine without the clinical trial network.

Young does ASCR.