Thread: PIE device

PIE device

Has anyone used this? Pulsed irrigation evacuation? http://www.piemed.com/ My significant other is considering getting this because of problems with constant UTIs, which seem to be related to bowel management problems. Opinions? Links to previous discusions on this? Thanks! My s.o. is C4 quad.

zilla...I haven't tried one but have looked at all their specs on their website www.piemed.com and I like what I've seen. I am considering getting their 2 month trial...waiting on insurance approval.

There is also some discussion on CareCure if you do search for pie machine.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

I've never used the device. From people who have I have learned that it can cause autonomic dysreflexia which the company denies. The disposables are pretty pricey that you have to use with the machine in addition to the machine itself. How is bowel care causing urinary tract infections? That's not a usual connection in my experience.

RAB

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

I've never used the device. From people who have I have learned that it can cause autonomic dysreflexia which the company denies. The disposables are pretty pricey that you have to use with the machine in addition to the machine itself. How is bowel care causing urinary tract infections? That's not a usual connection in my experience.

RAB
    I have medical training and the studies I've seen on this device are impressive and do not mention AD as a problem. If it were a significant problem, it would have been reported in the published literature on this device, so I am hopeful that this will not be an issue for my s.o. As for the connection to UTIs, we have no idea what that connection is other than the fact that it does seem to be problematic for him - when his bowels give him problems, he gets UTIs. It probably is related to simple hygiene. And the PIE would reduce hygiene problems related to bowel management, which is why we're interested. The cost would be manageable for us both because we have good insurance and our income. So ... any others with experience out there?

Thanks, Zillazangel