Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick-up Truck and Bed Lift

Pick-up Truck and Bed Lift

Anybody currently using a rigid frame manual wheelchair and driving a pick-up truck from the factory installed seat? Do you load the chair in the bed using a swing arm crane type lift?

I'd like to hear how well that works for you. How fast in/out? How reliable? What truck? What lift? How much ($)? How long have you been using?

Thanks.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I just purchased a 2007 Dodge Ram Quad cab 4x4...

and if you've ever paid attention to doge trucks, there very high. They come from the factor really high. My seat height is just below my shoulder when I pull up next to it in my chair and I'm 6'-1". I don't use any type of chair or seat lifts. It all depends on your mobility I guess. I'm a tall guy with long arms and I tranfer to it pretty easy and I load my chair up front with me in the cab. I do have a friend that uses the cahir lift that swings the chair to the bed of the truck. He rally likes it.

So how mobile are you?

btw, I'm a t-9, t-10 paraplegic since 1994. I'm in pretty good shape. I work out and play basketball through out the year. And that would be my best suggestion. To stay in shape. The bigger youget the harder the mobility you will have.

Virgil - I'm a low level para who does alright getting around. Standing is tough, and requires use of at least one arm.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm interested in a way to leave my chair intact while it rides with me.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Or you could just go with a 2wd chevy colorado with the zq8 package which puts the truck at about wheelchair height and do an easy transfer. I open the rear door behind me (extended cab) and put the chair in the extended cab area. This keeps life simple and no need for any extra equipment if you are a para other than hand controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    Anybody currently using a rigid frame manual wheelchair and driving a pick-up truck from the factory installed seat? Do you load the chair in the bed using a swing arm crane type lift?

I'd like to hear how well that works for you. How fast in/out? How reliable? What truck? What lift? How much ($)? How long have you been using?

Thanks.
    Yes.
    "06 Toyota Tundra/ Ti ZRA
    Use Bruno/EZ Riser adaptive equipment
    8-15 min in n' out
    $17k for mods (handcontrols, swing arm, transfer seat/platform, hydraulics for cap...)
    Have been using since August, 12k miles under my belt.

For more info & pics:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ighlight=truck
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    Or you could just go with a 2wd chevy colorado with the zq8 package which puts the truck at about wheelchair height and do an easy transfer. I open the rear door behind me (extended cab) and put the chair in the extended cab area. This keeps life simple and no need for any extra equipment if you are a para other than hand controls.
    Curt, Do you leave your chair assembled? If so, what do you push?
    Foolish

Quote Originally Posted by KVP612
    Yes.
    "06 Toyota Tundra/ Ti ZRA
    Use Bruno/EZ Riser adaptive equipment
    8-15 min in n' out
    $17k for mods (handcontrols, swing arm, transfer seat/platform, hydraulics for cap...)
    Have been using since August, 12k miles under my belt.

For more info & pics:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ighlight=truck
    KVP - Thanks for your reply. Pretty Toy. I have a cherry '93 T-100 4WD that I'm having trouble letting go. Can't work the manual clutch, and I don't want to invest in any of the hand clutch solutions.

How long does it take to do the crane lift part (not the topper or transfer)? How much room does just the crane take in the bed? Would you know the cost of just the crane? Is it easy to operate?

How do you like the Sure-Grips?

Thanks.
    Foolish

OT: Hey Curt, check the new HPT update, seems like a ton of new stuff it looks at.

I used a lowered S-10 with a crane. I just sold my 1980 El camino with a crane in the back. Both worked wonderfully.
    Only thing was bad weather getting my chair wet.

Foolish, just have to remove the wheels from the rigid chair, when using a folder, just fold and stow. Andy, ya, I saw that the other day, thanks. Need to lower my trans pressure, maxed out and sometimes really jolts me when it shifts, spilled coffee the other day on the 1-2 shift, lol.