Thread: Diy?

Diy?

I was working on a Dell XPS yesterday - I rarely use this guy as I am usually on a laptop,
    I realized that this machine is close to three years old, I purchased it soon after getting home from rehab. The dvd drive seems to "moan" a lot. This got me thinking about an upgrade.
    Has anyone out here ever upgraded a Dell - as in, install new motherboard, cpu, etc.?
    Would this be a reasonable approach compared to going for a new unit?
    In the past - pre-sci - I used to like to build my own, get the best components and put them together. Is this unthinkable when dealing with a proprietary set up?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garvey
    I was working on a Dell XPS yesterday - I rarely use this guy as I am usually on a laptop,
    I realized that this machine is close to three years old, I purchased it soon after getting home from rehab. The dvd drive seems to "moan" a lot. This got me thinking about an upgrade.
    Has anyone out here ever upgraded a Dell - as in, install new motherboard, cpu, etc.?
    Would this be a reasonable approach compared to going for a new unit?
    In the past - pre-sci - I used to like to build my own, get the best components and put them together. Is this unthinkable when dealing with a proprietary set up?

Thanks
    Is Dell proprietary?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Hmm, 3 year old XPS, that sounds familiar...is it a Gen 4?

On that note, I was thinking along those lines with my XPS as well, but that power supply was a little small for what I had in mind. Then there was that excessive fan noise from the small fans (getting a lot worse when I put an 8800GTS card putting out more heat into it). Then considering the non-standard fan connectors, non-standard front panel connectors (although Dell reverted back to ATX PS connectors after their late-90's dicking with that area), I just kind of written that thing off. Kind of hard to justifying upgrading what amounts to not a whole lot considering the latest processors, I think it is pretty obsolete at least in comparison to what you can buy today. I'm gonna put mine on Craigslist when I get some time to take care of that, should be an easy sell being brand name and 'XPS' and all

Speaking of XPS, on a lark I checked the Dell site...amazing. Unless you can get something like 45% off with various coupons (best around the holidays, or at least it used to be this way), the XPS's are quite the ripoff lately. Now that I know pricing pretty good on computer parts, I was shocked seeing some of the 'upgrades' costing the same as an entire part, if not a little more in some cases. Which made me wonder what exactly are you buying if the upgrade costs what the bare part costs? Wow. For general computing boxes they are ok, but performance machines...run away clutching your wallet tightly.

Thanks for responses.
    I'm going to look into this further.
    My daughter will start fine arts program in the fall - I'm pretty certain that that will require an Apple ofsome sort. That means her vintage 2004 Dell will be ripe for replacement and/or upgrade as well. Maybe by next fall I can get spousal sign off on some kind of upgrade or replacement.
    Maybe I'll turn th XPS into some kind of linus based server...?
    BTW - I thinks it's aGen 4 - have to check.

yeah the XPS would make a good *nix box.
    Teyrn