Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?? Remodeling Bathroom??

?? Remodeling Bathroom??

I've started to remodel the master bathroom in my house. Anybody have suggestions on some great web sites to get info on shower bases.

I'm t-10 and can transfer very well. I was looking for something like 5 feet by 4 feet square and about 2 inch lip on the floor level.

I was going to install/build a bench made out of teek wood (sp)

Also, what is a great web site to get accessory's for the shower area that are w/c friendly!!

Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks, Eddie

to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Curbless showers

For those who are going to modified their bathroom here's a site that has done some research on curbless showers. I tried to upload the file but kept on getting uploading errors.

It is from The Center For Universal Design, NC State University, College of Design.

http://www.design.ncsu.edu/cud/pubs_p/docs/Curbless.pdf

Swanstone also makes roll in shower bases but they are more a tub replacement size of about 30" x 60".

http://www.swanstone.com

titanium4motion

Edddie-
    just out of curiosity, why are you going to put a 2" lip on it? why not make it completely roll-in? It'll make it much easier to get in/out of even if you're doing transfers and not using a rolling shower chair. You can tile it and pitch the floor so that it drains in the center, OR there are(although I'm not sure of the company, I'm tiling mine currently) fiberglass enclosures that are zero transition line.

I can post some pics of mine in progress if you'd like...both before & the current progress...it's not complete yet though....It's 5x6, I built in boxes for shower supplies, a foot shelf for leg shaving(yeah I know, I'm a girl), showerheads w/individual controls(think bodyshower) on all 4 sides, and i'm using slate tile.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

If you got room in there, put a whirlpool in. Although you probably already got the idea they are nice with that pool, but imagine a year-round pool.

Broknwing-
    Thats a great idea with the roll in type. I figure while I got it torn up this bad might as well put a roll in now. (Knock on wood) if I injure a shoulder or something all that transfering would be tough and most likely I'll still be here when I get older and transfer will or might become non-exsistance it would be easier.

Andy-
    Already have a 6 person hot tub in that room. I'll be getting in the tub very soon for the first time since I became paralyzed. Would of happened before but we didn't use the tub for 4 years and shut off the power also. The water surprisingly was claer but we drained it anyway. Plus I need to come up with a grab bar design to get in and out. The tub is only about 12-15 inches out of the floor. It's a huge bathroom. 20 x 15 with a cathederal ceiling. (Hey, we need to get together sometime and you should come down here sometime when I have a pool/Bbq party in the summer)

Wheelin 48-
    Those link's are very helpful. Now have some great ideas of what I want to do.

Titanium 4 motion-
    Thanks for the pdf format of some shower info.

All this is great stuff. I've found a lot in a short time.

There is a bathroom showroom down the steet from here and the guy is a quad who owns the shop.
    My dad went to check it out but wasn't sure what would work best for me.
    So I'll be stopping there tomorrow night after my classes.

Thanks again for the help!!!
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    just out of curiosity, why are you going to put a 2" lip on it? why not make it completely roll-in? It'll make it much easier to get in/out of even if you're doing transfers and not using a rolling shower chair.
    I agree on the lip. I transfer to a bench, but it is nice to be able to roll up close. Also wish I had gone the multiple shower head route .... gets chilly when the water is not on your back. I like the shelf idea too 'Chelle, am trying to rig up something similar after the fact here.

Also check out the "show me your shower" threads here somewhere.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

we have 2 roll-ins, one a prefab and the one just remodeled rebuilt from scratch. Prefab is OK and cheaper but the remod really nice. They started out by taking out old floor and doing masonry floor which slightly slopes throughout the whole room toward the drain. They then installed a rubber liner covering entire bathroom floor and 6" up walls. Finished off with another masonry floor and tile. We also had them build in boxes for shower supplies, etc. I recommend you avoid that lip. Once ours was finished the whole room was a shower room.

THE COMPLETE PREFAB ROLL IN SHOWERS ARE THE WAY TO GO, ZERO MAINTENANCE AND EASY TO CLEAN. UNLIKE TILE AND GROUT.
    I HAVE 2 SETS OF CONTROLS AND HEADS IN MINE FOR SHOWERING TOGETHER WHICH IS VERY NICE.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    I agree on the lip. I transfer to a bench, but it is nice to be able to roll up close. Also wish I had gone the multiple shower head route .... gets chilly when the water is not on your back. I like the shelf idea too 'Chelle, am trying to rig up something similar after the fact here.

Also check out the "show me your shower" threads here somewhere.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Shower room

Build yourself a shower room instead of a roll in shower. Pre-fab is not the way to go. A flat floor with trench drains are safe in a wet environment. This is my shower room that was completed last year.

titanium4motion
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 08-20-2009 at 09:03 AM.