Thread: Cellulitis -- Advice, Please!

Cellulitis -- Advice, Please!

I have developed cellulitis in my lower right leg. My oncologist wanted to hospitalize me for i.v. antibiotics until the infection is healed, but I opted for home health (still with i.v. antibiotics).

After reading about it on the internet, I wonder if I should have been admitted. Has anyone dealt with this? Other than the meds, diuretic for swelling, bed rest (mostly), and elevation, is there something I should be doing?

My risk factors are: (1) chemo, (2) diabetes, (3) poor leg circulation (due to broken femur), (4) chronic swelling, and (5) dry, cracked skin due to the above reasons.

Is there something else I can do?

Thanks a bunch,

WantToLive (Sharon)
    Cancer-related SCI, 12/26/05

P.S. -- It appears that the chemo is working. All tumors were stable, with no new growth, and slight shrinkage in the lung tumors. I am supposed to complete another cycle and one half, but I'm afraid this may delay it.

Just a guess, but the fact that you are on chemo says to me that the LAST place you need to be is a hospital. They are bad places for compromised immune systems.

I think if you watch it closely, take your temp 4x daily, draw a line around the red area to make sure it isn't spreading, you are probably safer at home with IV antibiotics.

I never had cellulitis but I had a Graves disease symptom that mimicked it, and when I was diagnosed with it I learned about it.

I don't know of anything else other than to bolster your immune system with diet as much as you can. Good news that the chemo is working! Good luck.

Thanks, Betheny!

I like the idea of marking the area to view shrinkage/growth! If I may ask a stupid question, what did you use to make the markings?

Thanks,

WantToLive (Sharon)

Oops! Edited due to misspelling Betheny's name!

Wanttolive,

Just use a Sharpie marker. Good Luck!
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

When I had cellulitis in my leg in rehab, they used a felt pen to mark it.

Edit: I posted at the same time as somebody else. Didn't mean to duplicate information.
    Last edited by orangejello; 01-27-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Yep, just a Sharpie-don't use a red one! That idea came from Carecure, of course!

WHy not red? They use red on my hubby's leg when he got an infection in it.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Well I found that it blended in with the red on my leg...of course my leg was more diffusely red than actual cellulitis would have been, probably. Gotta love being misdiagnosed.

Smile cellulitist

My husband has been recently been getting alot of cellulitist. He is diabetic and recently when ever he bruises he legs from falling on his knee the cellulitist appears ????? I am wondering why ? Is this normal with someone who is on maybe Plavix ? He is also diabetic which this really concerns me when there is any sores on a persons leg when they are diabetic. If anyone has any answers plz let me know what we need to do.

Stemplin, does your husband also have a spinal cord injury? Cellulitis is an infection of the skin tissue. It can occur due to wounds or trauma to the skin, or it can just happen without any known source. It is more common in those with SCI, and in those with diabetes. It is dangerous as it can develop into septicemia, or can develop into necrotizing fasciitis ("flesh eating bacteria") if certain types of strep bacteria are involved.

It is one of the causes of amputation in those at risk. Most important is early detection (red, warm skin in soft tissue areas, sometimes fever and malaise), going to the doctor (or ER) immediately, and getting on antibiotics. Often if caught early it can be treated with oral antibiotics, but if those don't significantly improve symptoms with 24-48 hours, IV antibiotics (usually in the hospital) are needed.

(KLD)