Thread: Quickie GPV

Cool Quickie GPV

Does anyone here own this model of wheelchair (Quickie GPV) and really like it? Yesterday, I went in for a wheelchair evaluation and my therapist and the medical supplier shop dealer decided that the Quickie GPV would be a good wheelchair for me, since it would be lighter in weight than the Quickie 2 wheelchair I have been using (21.5 lbs, compared to 28 lbs). We still have to wait about 3 months to hear if WA Medicaid will cover it, but the dealer is 98% sure they will since they've covered 2 wheelchairs for me in the past (E&J Traveler and Quickie 2), and its been 6 years since I had a new wheelchair).

Does the GPV go easily over different types of terrain (gravel, grass, uneven sidewalks, carpet, ect.)? Does it for easily into a car trunk (my grandma has a Ford Taurus and my parents have a Kia Spectra)? Is it easy to push uphill?

Jessie

What is the level of your injury? I am c5-6 and my old chair is a GPV. If I had it to do over again I would get the GPV competition because it has an 80-85 degree front angle. The GPV only has a 70 which greatly decreases your turning radius and put pressure on you feet. I got my Tilite ZRA two years ago and couldnt be happier...do some more research and take the time to demo some chairs. Find some local people in chairs and ask their input. NEVER take the advice of a chair eval or supplier without getting first hand info from users....good luck!
    C5-6 - 22 years

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by quartermile
    What is the level of your injury? I am c5-6 and my old chair is a GPV. If I had it to do over again I would get the GPV competition because it has an 80-85 degree front angle. The GPV only has a 70 which greatly decreases your turning radius and put pressure on you feet. I got my Tilite ZRA two years ago and couldnt be happier...do some more research and take the time to demo some chairs. Find some local people in chairs and ask their input. NEVER take the advice of a chair eval or supplier without getting first hand info from users....good luck!
    I'm not paralized, but I have a birth defect called hereditary spastic paraparesis, which has caused my upper motor neurons to stop working. Thus, it has made my lower body so weak and spasic that I can't walk on my own anymore (I'm 25 years old).
    The dealer took several measurements of me and stuff and told me several degree's for the front angle, so maybe I am getting that GPV Competition chair, I'm not sure. I'll have to ask him on Monday. All I know is that he was going to have the front stick out a little further, so my feet will stay on the footrest and my AFO leg braces won't get stuck under the solid seat (they get stuck all the time underneath my Quickie 2 and Colours Eclipse chairs).

Jessie

Quote Originally Posted by jessie.gray
    Does anyone here own this model of wheelchair (Quickie GPV) and really like it? Yesterday, I went in for a wheelchair evaluation and my therapist and the medical supplier shop dealer decided that the Quickie GPV would be a good wheelchair for me, since it would be lighter in weight than the Quickie 2 wheelchair I have been using (21.5 lbs, compared to 28 lbs). We still have to wait about 3 months to hear if WA Medicaid will cover it, but the dealer is 98% sure they will since they've covered 2 wheelchairs for me in the past (E&J Traveler and Quickie 2), and its been 6 years since I had a new wheelchair).

Does the GPV go easily over different types of terrain (gravel, grass, uneven sidewalks, carpet, ect.)? Does it for easily into a car trunk (my grandma has a Ford Taurus and my parents have a Kia Spectra)? Is it easy to push uphill?

Jessie
    its a good dependable chair. BUT it won't fit in most car trunks. ive tried mine in 3 or 4 different cars and it would not let the trunk close because the front casters stick up too far.

The GPV does have an option for an 80 degree front frame. If you stand, and I am assuming you do because you wear AFO's, you do not want your legs out any further than they have to be. The GPV also has a flip up foot platform option and very solid tubular armrests which could help with standing.

A properly configured chair should not cause an AFO to get stuck under the seat. Do you have a specialized seating system which requires a solid seat, or is it purely to reduce sagging in the seat upholstery? If it's the latter, a rigid frame's standard upholstery is probably taut enough. A solid seat can have the undesirable effect of raising the center of mass so that the chair is more tippy (top heavy), and may raise you too far above the push rims to be able to propel with good biomechanical efficiency.

I have an AFO and use a Quickie GPV Competition. It works great for me for the environment in which I use it--which is strictly indoors. It had been returned by the family of a deceased veteran at the VA hospital where I work. It was pretty ragged and would have been thrown away, but I found the necessary parts to refurbish it. It is not particularly compact to load into a vehicle, however, and it would not be my first choice if I were looking for a full-time chair (which I will need to do at some point).

The design has been around for a long time and I wonder why they recommended that particular model. There are many models available which are lighter, provide better impact absorption, and can be stored more-compactly.

It is a good value for someone paying out of pocket. I configured a 16x16 80 degree GPV from SportAid for under $1000.

you've mentioned that you use an Eclipse for sports...the GPV is going to be a TANK compared to the Eclipse...more than likely you're not going to like it, it's a box-frame chair which does make it difficult to fit into small spaces. My sister has a Mustang & it will not fit in the trunk of that, I've tried in the past to put it in the trunk of a Chrysler Sebring & it wouldn't fit in that either. GPV was my 1st chair & that's what it's good for...a 1st chair...IMHO...You've already been in a higher end ridgid chair that is probably more suitable to your needs. Can you get the DME/OT to spec out an Eclipse for you instead? Have you demo-ed a GPV yet? I would not recommend ordering one w/out demo-ing it...You'll learn REAL QUICK wether or not it's something that you'd be able to use daily...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    you've mentioned that you use an Eclipse for sports...the GPV is going to be a TANK compared to the Eclipse...more than likely you're not going to like it, it's a box-frame chair which does make it difficult to fit into small spaces. My sister has a Mustang & it will not fit in the trunk of that, I've tried in the past to put it in the trunk of a Chrysler Sebring & it wouldn't fit in that either. GPV was my 1st chair & that's what it's good for...a 1st chair...IMHO...You've already been in a higher end ridgid chair that is probably more suitable to your needs. Can you get the DME/OT to spec out an Eclipse for you instead? Have you demo-ed a GPV yet? I would not recommend ordering one w/out demo-ing it...You'll learn REAL QUICK wether or not it's something that you'd be able to use daily...
    I was able to test the Quickie GPV and Quickie R2 for 2 days (one chair for one day and the other chair for a day). I prefered the Quickie GPV, becuase the front came out more and my leg braces didn't get stuck underneath the seat. Plus, my insurance (Medicaid) won't cover another Colours wheelchair, claiming they are way too expensive. My stepdad's friend gave me the Colours chair after he upgraded to a Ti Lite chair. I did have to get used to how it turned, becuase it didn't turn as fast as the Eclipse chair does, but I'll just have to get used to that.
    I also had my choice of the Quickie XTR chair, but I didn't like that one at all, because the suspension system underneath the chair absorbed too much shock and made getting up curbs very hard (my friend didn't like this one either).

I'm still going to keep my Colours chair for sports, so I'll still be able to have a super-super lightweight chair for tennis.

Jessie

if you could get a quick release front axle option on the GPV it "might" fit in a trunk. i know medicaid prolly wouldn't pay for any luxury items though. i have a GPV and an Eclipse. i bought the Eclipse outta pocket. thats one thing that sold me was the quick release front axles but it looks like it would fit anyway, haven't had to try an trunk it yet.