Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRESSURE SORE care question

PRESSURE SORE care question

Mike has a pressure sore on his ankle. It doesn't look anything like KK (Kevin's) but rather a large dark scab. It is a little crater like menaing it is indentated. It was a little yucker before and he used Accusyme and Saline but does he continue to use them on the scab? Also, now that it is a dry scab should it still be covered?

He is taking good care of it, no pressure on the area or anything. He got it while he was sick in bed Doc also gave him an oral antibiotic but he isn't taking it since it isn't infeced. I guess it was a precaution.

I forgot to mention he is eating lots of good protein and taking Vitamin C and Zinc.

Thanks

If the dr gave him an antibiotic, he should take it, it's an open wound...it COULD be infected, especially if the area around it is warm....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Honestly, this doc will give whatever we ask for. He gave the antibiotic over the phone. It isn't warm at all. I just had an episode of "warm wounds" with my 4 year old. She had cellulitis about 3 weeks ago. Ouch!

I am so paranoid about resistance to antibiotics and now I have Mike paranoid too but maybe he should just take it as a precaution.

I am worried that the Accuzyme will soften the scab and slow down the healing process. Mike had a wound he got in the accidient that took months to heal and we put accuzyme on 2 times daily but it was more like a bruise or blood blister, not a scab...

If the skin around the wound is not red, I would not use the antibiotic unless there is documented osteomyelitis too.

Stop the zinc if there is no wound drainage. Keep up the vitamin C. Try to elevate the leg during the day as much as possible (edema makes healing slower). Leave the scab (which is called eschar) alone. If it is dry, a dressing is not needed. I would stop the Acuzyme unless the wound is moist, "boggy" or there is pus coming out the edges of the eschar. The eschar may drop off after the area heals from underneath. This can take 4-6 weeks, so give it time. If you see redness around the wound, see a wound care doctor (not just your PCP) as he may then need the antibiotics (but not necessarily the ones prescribed).

(KLD)

PERFECT!!

Just the info we needed. Thanks KLD!

KLD,don't mean to hijack thread,but why would zinc be discontinued? IS zinc only recommended for draining wounds?

Yes, zinc is only recommended for draining wounds. This is because the purpose for taking zinc is that your body looses this important mineral in wound drainage. If you have no drainage, you get sufficient zinc in your diet. Taking supplements without a draining wound can actually cause zinc toxicity.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD. Zinc must be replaced only in wounds that drain. I was never sure what was lost except water in a draining wound.What is Zinc's roll in wound healing?

Here's a great reference to a lot of dietary factors involved with wound healing -

http://www.acnem.org/journal/14-2_no..._nutrition.htm

Marmalady,thanks for the helpful information.