Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 57

Thread: ChinaSCINET, On Schedule?

  1. #11
    Senior Member spidergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    1,049
    This is very sad.

    I think a majority of the people on this forum believe that you are going to come up with a cure Dr. Young. You give us all hope and reasons to believe even mentioning that "cures will arrive sooner than later" knowing that your trials have been set back. Are you saying that we should have "hope" because of other therapies other than your own?

    24 million needs to be raised for a lithium trial? umm I'm thinking is there substantial enough evidence that Lithium is gonna help? Because if there is I don't see a problem with you being able to get that money. I don't know how many times I have mentioned Proof to people and noone seems to get this. There are lots of wealthy people willing to spend money on proof. Nobody want's to spend momey on testing safety. Forget it! Efficacy needs to go hand in hand.

    In addition to this,

    Is there any reason why anyone of us on carecure should actually believe we are going to be helped at all with this hellish condition? I am not here rambling on there are some things I am working on and there no joke, but I just think I come to carecure to read up about the progress of the cure around the world/planet not to discuss who I am having sex with, in what position, how often I should empty my bladder etc..that is what doctors are for.........

    If there is NO HOPE in the near future for a cure why are we all here? This is so confusing Dr. Young, truly. I think you do realize the sense of urgency and I am not saying anything is your fault, I know your doing your thing, but this is truly unacceptable in every which way and meaning of the word. It is NOT FUNNY to not walk.
    Last edited by spidergirl; 01-28-2007 at 09:46 PM.

  2. #12
    Banned adi chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    near dracula castle
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl
    This is very sad.

    I think a majority of the people on this forum believe that you are going to come up with a cure Dr. Young. You give us all hope and reasons to believe even mentioning that "cures will arrive sooner than later" knowing that your trials have been set back. Are you saying that we should have "hope" because of other therapies other than your own?

    24 million needs to be raised for a lithium trial? umm I'm thinking is there substantial enough evidence that Lithium is gonna help? Because if there is I don't see a problem with you being able to get that money.

    In addition to this,

    Is there any reason why anyone of us on carecure should actually believe we are going to be helped at all with this hellish condition? I am not here rambling on there are some things I am working on and there no joke, but I am just think I come to carecure to read up about the progress of the cure around the world not to discuss who I am having sex with, in what position, how often I should empty my bladder..that is what doctors are for.........

    If there is NO HOPE in the near future for a cure why are we all here? This is so confusing Dr. Young, truly. I think you do realize the sense of urgency and I am not saying anything is your fault, I know your doing your thing, but this is truly unacceptable in every which way and meaning of the word.
    spidegirl ...is not easy to treat [cure] sci.the neuro pain uti s spasms are my most killers .i hope and i will fight until the end .i don`t agree with false hope .i had the oeg procedure done .we have to understand only one thing...the science will solve our problem one day ...sooner or later.i will die happy tomorrow if i will hear...the cure for sci exists.is hard and the damn goverment is not help us.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

  3. #13
    Senior Member spidergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    1,049
    Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    the science will solve our problem one day ...sooner or later.i will die happy tomorrow if i will hear...the cure for sci exists.is hard and the damn goverment is not help us.

    NO ADI-

    the science may NOT solve our problem one day. More people are interested in investing in technology. Technology is moving forward at the pace of a skyrocket. Science makes track marks like a snail on the sidewalk.

    ( very cute avatar BTW )

  4. #14
    Cheryl,

    I am sorry that you think that it is very sad. Let me, however, correct several misperceptions.
    • $24 million is not needed for a lithium trial. $12 million is required for the combination cell transplant and lithium treatment trial. Another $12 million is required for establishing GMP cell processing facilities unless we form a partnership with an existing facility. We have been exploring all these options.
    • I have only said what gives me hope. You can decide whether what I say gives you hope. if you read my posts, you will find that I spend most of my time talking about reasons for hope based on many people's work, not just my own. We want to get the first cell transplant/neurotrophin combination therapy tested in a clinical trial. I believe that this is the best option.
    • Many animal studies have reported treatments that regenerate the spinal cord. The proof that these therapies work in humans will have to come from trying the treatments in humans in well-designed clinical trials. If the treatment doesn't work, we need to demonstrate it rigorously. If it restores function, that would be great. That is what clinical trials are all about.

    I disagree with your repeated assertions that we need "proof" that treatments cure animals and then all the money and clinical trials in humans would follow. THE ONLY PROOF is if the treatment works in humans. Let me give you an example. Dr. David Ho got some animal data suggesting that combination anti-virals for AIDS would be much more effective than individual treatments. He wasn't sure that this would be effective in humans. So, he took it to clinical trial and showed that this is true.

    We face the same situation in spinal cord injury. Animal data suggest we must address several major obstacles to regeneration in order to get substantial functional regeneration. These obstacles include an injury site that is inhospitable to axonal growth, lack of prolonged growth factor support, and the presence of axonal growth inhibitors such as Nogo.

    Mononuclear cells will fill the injury site. Lithium stimulates these cells to produce neurotrophins. Our combination cell transplant-lithium trial will test the first two of the three part combination. It is possible that it may not produce all that much recovery because we have not addressed the third obstacle. We are of course hoping that we will be able to include a nogo or nogo receptor blocker, or chondroitinase in future clinical trials.

    Wise.







    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl
    This is very sad.

    I think a majority of the people on this forum believe that you are going to come up with a cure Dr. Young. You give us all hope and reasons to believe even mentioning that "cures will arrive sooner than later" knowing that your trials have been set back. Are you saying that we should have "hope" because of other therapies other than your own?

    24 million needs to be raised for a lithium trial? umm I'm thinking is there substantial enough evidence that Lithium is gonna help? Because if there is I don't see a problem with you being able to get that money. I don't know how many times I have mentioned Proof to people and noone seems to get this. There are lots of wealthy people willing to spend money on proof. Nobody want's to spend momey on testing safety. Forget it! Efficacy needs to go hand in hand.

    In addition to this,

    Is there any reason why anyone of us on carecure should actually believe we are going to be helped at all with this hellish condition? I am not here rambling on there are some things I am working on and there no joke, but I just think I come to carecure to read up about the progress of the cure around the world/planet not to discuss who I am having sex with, in what position, how often I should empty my bladder etc..that is what doctors are for.........

    If there is NO HOPE in the near future for a cure why are we all here? This is so confusing Dr. Young, truly. I think you do realize the sense of urgency and I am not saying anything is your fault, I know your doing your thing, but this is truly unacceptable in every which way and meaning of the word. It is NOT FUNNY to not walk.

  5. #15
    Banned adi chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    near dracula castle
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl
    NO ADI-

    the science may NOT solve our problem one day. More people are interested in investing in technology. Technology is moving forward at the pace of a skyrocket. Science makes track marks like a snail on the sidewalk.

    ( very cute avatar BTW )
    i think that the politicians stop the reaserch regarding sci and a cure for an unknow reason.are they afraid of me or many others suffering?my spinal cord is damaged my feelings and my brain are still ok.i learned a tough lesson from life .
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

  6. #16
    Senior Member spidergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    1,049
    Hmmm. This is interesting. I am assuming though that when you speak of "animals" that you are talking about rodents? Or are we talking about actual animals...such as primates etc.. because with all do respect I don't consider a rodent an animal. I think testing these therapies in actual animals is more suffice than in a rodent. I mean I can look at my niece's hamster and it just doesn't fit.

    I also want to add that as a "complete chronic" looking at a recovery in even say 7 to 10 years ( which has been my prediction since day 1 ) this is going to be very difficult. I think for the most part Dr. Young we are scared and it really is NOT FUN to not be able to use your legs - its truly at some times is a royal nightmare. The sense of urgency needs to be bigger than life.

    I say that technology might far supercede us and maybe not in the aspects as BBS but as in getting us up to stand and walk whether it be through a chip or thin robotic legs underneath garments or what not.

    In any case, it's all very truly quite sick that we are in 2007 and "very little progress" has been made. Why should a piece of our lives be ruined forever because science wants to take their time? Technology doesn't liek to take time they like to keep progression moving and building bigger blocks. What if these clinical trials are not effective. Than we should all go home and have a nice day????

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl
    Hmmm. This is interesting. I am assuming though that when you speak of "animals" that you are talking about rodents? Or are we talking about actual animals...such as primates etc.. because with all do respect I don't consider a rodent an animal. I think testing these therapies in actual animals is more suffice than in a rodent. I mean I can look at my niece's hamster and it just doesn't fit.
    HAHA! "Thats not an animal, thats a hamster"!

  8. #18
    Senior Member spidergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    1,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier
    HAHA! "Thats not an animal, thats a hamster"!
    Um Buck Nast-

    I don't consider a hamster an animal too - that's why I said it doesn't fit. If it doesn't fit you must acquit! These rodents and guinea pigs ( why are they called pigs- are they classified as a pig?) hamsters all the same thing too me.

  9. #19
    Banned adi chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    near dracula castle
    Posts
    9,508
    spidegirl....can you ask the justice ...why adi is paralysed for the rest of his life?help me if you can,i will do anything to cure ....coruption,malpractice ,discrimination and sci .
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl
    I mean I can look at my niece's hamster and it just doesn't fit.
    If you 'do the math' Cheryl, the anatomy of a rodent spine is similar in many ways to that of a human. This is a concrete reason why rodents are experimented upon.

Similar Threads

  1. ChinaSCINet Funding Status ?
    By litespeed4 in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 01:16 PM
  2. Using ChinaSCINET as Clinical Trials Resource
    By litespeed4 in forum Cure
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 09:58 AM
  3. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 01:13 AM
  4. My FES Schedule
    By Jeff in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 07:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •