Thread: Neural Progenitor Cells from Embryonic Stem Cells Commercialized by Aruna Biomedical!

Arrow Neural Progenitor Cells from Embryonic Stem Cells Commercialized by Aruna Biomedical!

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...ource=r_health

Posted on: Thursday, 25 January 2007, 15:01 CST
    Aruna Biomedical, Inc. Announces Technology Licensing Agreement to Commercialize the First Products Derived From Human Embryonic Stem Cells

ATHENS, Ga., Jan. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Aruna Biomedical, Inc., announced today that it has entered into a technology licensing agreement with the University of Georgia Research Foundation that will enable the company to commercialize human neural progenitor cell technology developed at the University.
    Under the terms of the agreement, Aruna has acquired an exclusive worldwide license to develop and commercialize neural cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Aruna will offer the academic and industry research communities access to much sought after, but never before available human neural cells, derived from human embryonic stem cells, that relate to normal and diseased human conditions .

The cells can be used in research ranging from Alzheimer's, spinal cord injury and depression. Aruna anticipates launch of its first product, human neural progenitor (NP) cells, in early 2007 and add- on products will closely follow. The human NP cells will be sold and marketed through a third-party distribution partner and packaged as a kit with growth media and substrates.

"The potential impact of this product on the neural research community could be astounding," says Aruna co-founder and CEO Steven Stice. "We are offering a product that may accelerate the pace of neurological research for tens of thousands of scientists and thereby may provide patients with possible therapies and treatments for debilitating neurological diseases and spinal cord injuries much sooner than imagined."

"I am excited about the launch of the Neural Progenitor product," says James Shepherd, Chairman of the Board for the Shepherd Center in Atlanta. "Getting the cells into the hands of more researchers broadens the number of [scientific] approaches being taken with them. All the stakeholders looking for results from cell therapies for their causes should be cheering Aruna's project."

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Godbless you Faye...

This is outstanding news, sorrry i just found it and am suprised others did not also thank you for the good news! It is awesome that they are willing and wanting to share these cell lines for the better good of the suffering, good things are beginning to happen all over the map....
    Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com

Susan,
    Posted here as well, kind of a duplicate thread...

Smile

Cljanny,

i missed both until now, thanx though...
    Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com

Susan, I too am greatly encouraged by a quote by Stice, which I highlighted below:

Bioscientist broadens embryonic research

NICK WARLICK For The Red & Black

Issue date: 1/30/07 Section: News
    A University scientist has reached a breakthrough in stem cell research that could expedite the search for cures to a number of neural diseases.

Steve Stice, a professor and director of the University's Regenerative Bioscience Center, said Thursday he discovered a method to produce billions of cells which can develop into and replace damaged brain tissues.

These cells, Stice said, are of great significance in finding cures to conditions such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.

"This finding is important because of the value of specialized human nerve cells in stem cell research," Stice said.

Few institutions have access to embryonic cells, a condition Stice hopes to reverse, he said.

Through his company, Aruna Biomedical Inc., Stice intends to manufacture and distribute these cells to biological labs and companies throughout the world, he said.

With wide experimentation, Stice said cures can be discovered at a much faster pace.

SOURCE

Finally we can start working with ESC's at the pace we should have been able to do a long time ago.

"same old, same old" of adult stem cells just isn't working for neurological conditions.

cljanney, thanks for your tireless search for ESCR news as well!!

That heart muscle with own blood supply form ES cells, was double posted by a few of us as well. Mine was moved to News.

The possibilities with ESCR cannot be matched by ASCR.

Hey if someone wants to duplicate ESCR findings through dedifferentaition of ASC's, by all means do it,.........but only after we have allowed ESCR to unfold fully. Right now our tax payer monies should be spent smart. That means prioritizing: ESCR first, dedifferentiation of ASCs second.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl