Thread: learning to stand

learning to stand

[understatement] Re-learning to stand is exhausting, mentally and physically. My second time on kafo's, the novelty that I'd made it this far was wearing off. Hands on the p-bars, my butt sticks out from weak/lacking glutes, I lean way too far forward and my shoulders burn from strain. Add to that plumetting bloodpressure and the urge to faint and I was beginning to wonder what the point was. Fourth try is a charm though, got my hips under me, stood straight, therpist took her hands off me, I took one hand off the bar, took the other one off...Whoa! not quite at the no-handed stage yet!

Also got in the pool for the first time. It is awesome, especially for practicing standing. Between standing and swimming, it was the first time in 6 mos I felt the satisfying feeling of total exercised exhaustion. Seattle people out there...the Bellevue Aquatic pool is a dedicated therapy pool, heated, float tubes, lift or roll in options and is worth every bit of the $4 admission.

Great job! Sounds like me five years ago! I stand anywhere from a half hour to 45 minutes almost every day. I can also keep my balance for 5 to 10 minutes. I did about a year of pool therapy and I really liked it. Unfortunately, this therapy pool is about 40 minutes away - too much of a commute.

My second time on kafo's, the novelty that I'd made it this far was wearing off. Hands on the p-bars, my butt sticks out from weak/lacking glutes, I lean way too far forward and my shoulders burn from strain. Add to that plumetting bloodpressure and the urge to faint and I was beginning to wonder what the point was.

Everyone who has the chance to walk again has all these and then sum constantly. To this day walking is a struggle and somtimes standing, people see me after classes and say, watching you walk is making me hurt... it never gets easy but if you want it bad enough you'lll keep it doing and hopefully one day it will be like second nature to you.

In your mind you don't want to ever think is it worth it? Of course it is, you can always go back in that chair, but you can't always get up and stand or later get up and walk for some. Force your body to adapt dont adapt to your body.

Keep it up.
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 01-28-2007 at 06:13 PM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee
    Everyone who has the chance to walk again has all these and then sum constantly. To this day walking is a struggle and somtimes standing, people see me after classes and say, watching you walk is making me hurt... it never gets easy but if you want it bad enough you'lll keep it doing and hopefully one day it will be like second nature to you.

In your mind you don't want to ever think is it worth it? Of course it is, you can always go back in that chair, but you can't always get up and stand or later get up and walk for some. Force your body to adapt dont adapt to your body.

Keep it up.
    good words - thanks