Thread: treatment of a stage 2 pressure sore over the ischials

treatment of a stage 2 pressure sore over the ischials

I thought this topic was covered thoroughly, but I didn't get very good results from a search of the CareCure site.

I am looking for information about treating a stage 2 pressure sore over the ischials. I found the following advice at this URL.

Cleanse the wound with saline solution only and dry carefully. Apply either a transparent dressing (such as Op-Site or Tegaderm), a hydrocolloid dressing (such as DuoDERM), or saline dampened gauze. The first two types of dressing can be left on until they wrinkle or loosen (up to 5 days). If using gauze, it should be changed twice a day and should remain damp between dressing changes.
    Is a bandage suitable for this location? If it is suitable, which type is recommended?

Thanks,
    rtr

RTR, Sorry to hear of your breakdown. IT breakdowns are very hard to bandage (speaking from experience!) We didn't find the Duoderm or any of the self-sealing 'leave em on til they fall off' types helpful; in fact, they created other problems because of the skin folds and creases in the area. We finally just resorted to using gauze and paper tape; there's a paper tape you can get in a roll that's about 2 inches wide that we found pretty good. Don't know the name - the visiting nurse gave it to us from her supplies. Maybe the SCI nurses can help out here.

Good luck - Hope you're staying off it, as that's the very best thing you can do - boring as hell, I know, but the best!

i have really good luck with proderm--it's a spray and u leave wound uncovered. a nurse told me about it and it heals any sore i've ever had.

A stage II pressure ulcer should be kept covered with a dressing that will hold moisture in the wound, but not macerate the surrounding normal tissue. Dressings like hydrocolloids (Duoderm, etc.) and transparent films (like Tegaderm or Opsite) are popular, but I prefer to cover with Vaseline gauze, then cover that with a guaze sponge and then apply tape. Paper tape is OK, but if you can get a quality fabric or knit tape like Coverall, this is much better for your skin.

Of course most important is absolutely no sitting for an ischial pressure ulcer, either in your chair, on your commode or in bed. Eat a diet high in protein, vitamin C, A and E, and take a multivitamin as well as a zinc supplement.

(KLD)

Hi rtr,
    I'm with sci nurse.....
    Vitamins!
    Keep us posted,
    Cathy