Thread: My letter is going to be published

My letter is going to be published

A few months back I responded to a article that was in my paper for Michigan Citizens for Stem Cell Research and Cure. Today they finally responded to my letter and it is going to be published on their web site.
    I would like to share the response to me and the letter I wrote that will be published.

Dear Mrs. Swain:

I am writing you today on behalf of Michigan Citizens for Stem Cell Research & Cures. As you know, our non-profit coalition supports legislation that will promote embryonic stem cell research in our state. As part of that effort, we have created a web site — www.StemCellResearchforMichigan.com — that features “Stories of Hope,” which profile citizens in our state who may someday benefit from life-saving cures and treatments that result from this science.

Based on your communication to our coalition, we would like to include you and your daughter’s experience, and how you believe she could potentially benefit from embryonic stem cell research, on our web site. I have taken the liberty to edit and revise some of the passages you mailed to us (printed below my contact information). I want to assure you and your family that none of this material will appear on our site without your prior consent. Please review the changes, make any additions you feel are appropriate, and inform us whether you will allow us to publish your daughter’s story on our web site. I have maintained your point of view in this text, adding only minor modifications. Our top priority is to respect your family’s privacy. We will only post you and your daughter’s first name and your city on the site to protect your privacy. We also would appreciate it if we could publish a photograph of you and your daughter on our site. We can arrange to schedule a photographer to come to your home if you do not have a photo available.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience if you have any questions about this request. I also will contact you by phone soon to hear from you about this issue and answer any concerns you may have.

Sincerely,

Mike Nowlin
    Martin Waymire Advocacy Communcations
    426 West Ottawa St.
    Lansing, MI 48933
    P. 517-485-6600
    F. 517-485-6619
    C. 989-450-0855
    mnowlin@mwadvocacy.com
    www.mwadvocacy.com

My daughter’s accident happened July of 2002. She was three years old at the time she sustained a severe spinal cord injury that has left her paralyzed in her lower extremities.

In the 4 1/2 years since her accident, my family’s life in Flint, Mich., with our daughter has been both rewarding and difficult. We are thankful she has regained some partial ability to move. Rewarding, too, in the sense that we still have her and that her injuries have not proven as critical as her doctors first believed. Also, she is the most happiest and joyful person you could ever meet. I could go on bragging about her as I am a very proud mother.

The difficult part of her injury, for my husband and I, is watching her sit on the sidelines while all her friends are running around and playing outdoors. Even though I usually try to rig up some way for her to participate in all activities, at times it is just impossible. At school, she cannot even play on the slide for fear that other kids, who are also playing, may knock her off. She so loves to slide and feel the wind in her hair, but is unable to do so for safety reasons.

Other difficulties include handling her bathroom duties. I have to make sure that she goes or it can become fatal. I have to watch every cold so that it doesn't turn to pneumonia. I have to watch for pressure sores. Medically the list can go on and on. Dealing with insurance companies is an almost never-ending challenge.
    They refuse so much that is or would be a benefit to my child. I couldn't even get a bath chair for her so I could safely bathe her, because they feel bathing is not a necessity, so I had to construct a sitting device for her. She is allowed only 12-13 weeks of physical therapy a year, which is one 60-minute visit a week. That meager amount of physical therapy is nowhere close to the amount of time she needs to help her condition improve.

The list of obstacles that confront my daughter every day is virtually infinite. Society is not designed for those who are unable to walk, especially children. As hard as it is for a parent to witness the suffering of their child, I know it is harder on her. Yet she rarely cries or complains about her situation. On those rare occasions when she expresses frustration, it is usually to question why it is that fate has made her legs unable to work.

I don't understand why there is such a problem with embryonic stem cell research. I wish those who oppose this vitally needed research would spend just spend one day with my daughter and I, to just witness what we endure together. There is nothing harder than seeing such a beautiful little girl so full of life being limited to completely enjoying it.

Right now, not only do I have to try and tend to her physical needs, I have been working real hard at her mental needs. I have been teaching her to stay positive and no door has been shut on her. Yes, it may take more for her to overcome the ignorance of others and a lot of inner-determination to achieve her goals in life, but she can do it.

Like I said at the beginning, she is a very happy young lady. To add, she is full of life and determined to have happiness. I carry the hope and faith that she will walk again. I believe if God didn't want us to use embryonic stem cells he would not have given man knowledge to pursue this research. I heard President Bush call these embryos "Snowflake Babies" and that they all have a face. Well, my daughter has a face and she also has a name.

These stem cells are going to be eventually thrown away, so why not let them “live” by helping others to have a better quality of life.

Stay safe my son. See you around thanksgiving!

Robynbird;

Way to go! Stories of personal experiences are powerful. Good luck to you and your daughter.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Thanks Robynbird,

and hang in there