Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 is a real pain

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 is a real pain

I don't know if anybody else has got this problem but I recently purchased Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9. Can't fault the accuracy, absolutely superb on all applications, I use it all the time. Problem is, it keeps locking all the time. Now, when I say all time, probably five times a day I have got to press control alt delete and then open it up again. Sometimes it actually crashes the programme. It is a more on software then actually in DragonPad for instance. Just wondering if there is some kind of God in their needs fixing. I'm going to contact the manufacturers and have a bit of a moan because it does spoil an absolutely fantastic program.

The other thing that is rather annoying when using this type of software in various software such as joomla and also on forums is that if you say a certain word, normally when it's just one word, could be anything, you often get taken off the website or programme, or it opens up another page and you lose all the information that you are doing. If you use Dragon in photo shop then I would be very careful. Don't start talking to someone with a recognition software open and live, you will mess the whole programme up.

I hear you. I've found that if you have to switch applications, turn the mic off or it freezes. Same goes if you cough, clear your throat etc. I purchased a better digital headset and that helped. Sometimes it kicks ass and everything runs smooth, other times I want to throw it out the window. The package says something to the effect of "throw your keyboard away, you'll never need it again" yeah right....

Oh shit! You mean the preferred version?
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz
    Oh shit! You mean the preferred version?
    I have 'preferred'. All said, I'd buy it again, the usb headset helped quite a bit. I should add that I predominantly use it for dictating documents and such. I've tried surfing and some other things and it seems a waste of time. The bigger your system resource, the better. The program grows the more words you add, mine is at 1500mb. I'm no expert, but I think this is why it causes problems with other large programs like Photoshop etc.

How about strictly with word processing only?
    And the truth shall set you free.

I think you will be OK with Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred with Word Processing if you purchase the full version of Dragon and not the upgrade. I believe many of these problems are from Dragon 9 upgrade version instead of the complete or full version. The upgrade to Dragon 9 (I had Dragon 7 Pro) crashed on me when trying to install and I called Nuance tech support for assistance. Before the call was placed or the conversation even began, I had my mind made up that I wanted Nuance to send me the full version of DNS 9 Pro and not another set of DNS 9 Pro upgrade CDs. Nuance tech support had me try (after being on hold for 30 minutes) to install DNS 9 upgrade by copying the folder to my desktop, among other ways to set up and run the program, but everything failed to work. Finally their tech guy considered sending me a full version of Dragon 9 Pro but he needed to talk to his supervisor and I had to fax him additional licensing information before we could go to the next step. When everything was verified over the phone and the purchasing invoice/information was received by fax, then Nuance sent me out the full version of Dragon 9 Pro. I remember that one of our members (Lewis) had problems with DNS 8 upgrade CDs and his problems didn't get resolved until Nuance or at that time ScanSoft sent him the full version of DNS 8 Pro.

If you're using DNS 9, I would stongly advise against installing any of the service packs from Nuance. By the way, SP2, from Nuance, is due out at the end of this month, I believe, and I will not be updating unless I hear great things from other users. Also, do not install Internet Explorer 7 with any version of Dragon. There is a major conflict with IE 7 and Dragon with no real
    fix at this time. If you have installed IE 7 with Dragon and are experiencing problems you can roll back to IE 6, but it is my understanding that this does not always resolve the issue. Some users have completely uninstalled and then reinstalled DNS 9. Sometimes this will work. Others have backed up their data and reinstalled Windows, followed by reinstalling DNS 9.

If by now you are concerned about purchasing DNS 9 because of these issues, I would recommend doing a Google or Froogle search and try to buy a copy of DNS 8.

This is the full version, not an upgrade, costing over £100. I am using a set of Plantronics DSP 100 headset. I have been using it headset for quite a while now absolutely love it, apart from the stupid adjustment which I had to glue a while back to stop it from coming apart. It now means anyone with a very small head will find my headset rather big.

I think anybody who cannot be use a keyboard will be in real trouble using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 unless of course they have a helper nearby. Not a single day goes by that I have to use a keyboard in some way. It has saved a hell of a lot of time though, I would never be without it, I use it all the time and the recognition is brilliant. I just wish it wouldn't keep freezing because that is a nuisance.

What type of microphone should I use with DNS?
    Even though it's not well with my body,
    it is well with my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside
    This is the full version, not an upgrade, costing over £100.
    I think anybody who cannot be use a keyboard will be in real trouble using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 unless of course they have a helper nearby. I just wish it wouldn't keep freezing because that is a nuisance.
    I think the pressure is on Nuance (nuisance) to make sure that SP-2 (service pack 2) fixes these bugs in DNS 9. If not, we may be taking a hard look at Windows Vista with speech recognition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Wheelchair Rider
    What type of microphone should I use with DNS?
    I would strongly recommend a USB headset or a USB microphone for Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I use the Andrea USB Pod with my microphone headset for voice-recognition.

InSync Buddy USB microphones are accurate from 6-8" away without picking up a lot of background noise. The In-Sync Buddy Flamingo USB microphone is great for notebooks.