Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little preview of the Super Lazy Man Special computer system

Bet your cat likes the fish on your screensaver ...
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

It's getting there. Swapped out the stock fans with some spiffy $4.00 Yate Loons (which when a resister is added to them the price jumps to maybe $18.00 under the guise of 'silent' type for silent computer conneseurs, lol) See "Nexus" brand fans. Anyway, they are quieter and push more air (smaller motor=bigger fan blade hence more air being pushed). The top blowhole is on 7 volts (ran out of controllable fan headers and didnt feel like splicing), the front and back are MB controlled, normally run around 900 rpm, go full speed to 1250 (still damn quiet at full blast too) when roasting the box with Orthos. Also got that double slot blower, set it on low (amazingly silent too, I wasnt expecting much out of it), and now that oven that doubles as a video card has all its hot air exiting the case, seems to help quite a bit keeping the box cool when stressing the box out compared to before. Oh yeah, those black things coming out of the fans arent zip ties, they are those fancy rubber fan 'screws' that isolate the fan from the case. Next mission is to slap in a fan between the power supply and the hard drive case for good measure. The PS already pulls air past the HD, but hey, if you cant hear them more fans are good. Also some more wiring clean up.

I think Bob was talking about Lian Li cases before...I'm starting to really warm up to them now. Still deciding between the big thing for quiet computers (this thing, Antec P180), which possibly is just hype, and getting something to build a showpiece into. I like that Lian Li A10, maybe in black. It seems to cover a number of things that I dont like about this case. We'll see how that idea pans out.

Hey Andy, at least it does not look that this is a super lazy computer setup you got there working on lol. I’m not up-to-date when it comes to all bits and pieces when it comes to such computers these days although I do understand some of it. I was more inline what was on the marked some time ago. These days tough the funny thing is that old grey-haired dad runs a little computer business beside the other things he does, some years ago he got that interest of ‘puters, not software stuff, but how they work you see (he’s an old chief engineer so I guess any technology could make he’s interest, I did not think computers though, given he’s age when he got this interest, giving the fact he is from the "old school") and now are building them. I think I have to print this thread for him to read and give some hints on a little birthday present maybe Lol. Great and great photos, monitor image looks really sharp.
    Last edited by Leif; 01-27-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Yeah, I got a crash course in modern computers just recently. Maybe 12 years ago I had the same component-level interest in desktop computers, but after that I didnt really care. The computers I had were some real heaps too, miscellaneous junk that I garbage picked from a previous job and combined into a working computer (I use that term loosely as they were crash-o-matics). I then bought a new desktop which served me ok, although that was just to surf the internet and build webpages, nothing really special there. I then got a laptop after my SCI which was a slow dog (ordered the cheapest thing while still in rehab) which led to a few hot-rod laptops, then a ready made 'performance' machine, and now this thing. Pretty fun hobby I think. Birthday presents in the form of a monster machine are nice too

The machine is pretty much all finished up, I'll post some photos in a new thread when I clean up the mess and can show the whole package. Although I am wondering if I should be worried, as I caught a certain creature making some 'adjustments' today:

hah christ you should photoshop that thing and write,
    "Don't worry i'm from Tech Support."
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Great stuff Andy and good luck. You might want to post a bullet item component list when you are done? Would have been great.

Wonder why all the cats are so computer interested tough, this one might be eating my new upcoming “pat. pending super insulating processor Easter egg chicken wing feather computer coolant system”

I know you know what you're doing and all but on the fans you are making sure that one side sucks air in while the other side blows it out. If you have them all bring air in or taking air out you end up with no air flow inside the box which allows temps to rise quite high.
    Nice box Andy.
    Teyrn

Quote Originally Posted by teyrn
    I know you know what you're doing and all but on the fans you are making sure that one side sucks air in while the other side blows it out. If you have them all bring air in or taking air out you end up with no air flow inside the box which allows temps to rise quite high.
    Nice box Andy.
    LOL, all the fans are blowing out, I'm operating on the 'vacuum of space' theory of thermodynamics...its cold in space, right?

Yeah, they are directional front to back and up for the top fan. I kind of wish this case had space for a 2nd front fan, as it is sucks through the vents above the expansion slots, which necessitated getting that slot blower to keep the video card exhaust from recirculating through the case. Sure is quiet, nothing like a 1GHz overclock and one of the hottest gfx cards out there on full bore stress testing programs and it doesnt sound like a jet engine like my old XPS did. About 3X the computer that thing was too, I like it.

nice you are doing it without water too.
    Teyrn

Quote Originally Posted by teyrn
    nice you are doing it without water too.
    It gets better, up to 3.6GHz tonight (been a messin' with the volts). Looks like the chipset was the bogie. Stock is 1.5 volt, previously I tried 1.55 volt with no luck, tonight I'm on 1.6 volt and got a whole new realm of stability. Roasting this machine with Orthos right now, CPU volts needed to be upped to 1.3875 from stock 1.325, +.05V on the FSB also it seems needed, at this point of dialing this thing in it looks like I will be getting to my goal of 3.6GHz and staying there. Had to crank up the cooler fan to 1500 rpm (waaaahhh) as coretemp is at 71C (hot), but its like 82 degrees in the room now with the heat cycling (I like it warm, screw the computer, lol). I like this machine, cant wait to see what the 3d06 score looks like at 3.6, then to see if it will be Othos stable overnight