Thread: Buying cells & buying hope?

Buying cells & buying hope?

I saw this yesterday morning on CNN 8:55 A.M. Have you seen it?

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Buying cells & buying hope?

Every year thousands of sick and disabled Americans make medical pilgrimages to China, Russia and Mexico looking for cures. Most are fragile and disabled.

Meeting one of them, Jim Dunn, left a lasting impression on me. Jim is an ex-Marine, a vibrant, fun guy who had skydived for more than 40 years. But when we met, Jim was in a wheelchair. He was violently attacked six years ago, his spinal cord severed. He's a quadriplegic. After years of lying in bed and hearing, 'You'll never walk again," Jim decided to take action. The wheelchair wasn't his destiny, he believed, and he was willing to pay whatever it took to walk.

He found neurosurgeon Dr. Huang Hongyun in China, who said he could help. Jim traveled from California to China for the experimental operation Dr. Huang offered, which would cost more than $40,000.

Dr. Huang injected fetal nose and brain cells (called olfactory ensheathing cells) into Jim's spinal cord, saying it would help regenerate his nerve fibers. Jim's heart stopped after the surgery. He almost died.

Six months later, Jim still is not walking. He's had a little improvement with movement and sensations in his hands and arms, but some doctors say that could be the result of intense rehabilitation.

I interviewed Dr. Huang after Jim's surgery and when I asked him whether Jim would ever walk again, his answer startled me: "I don't think our method right now can cure his spinal cord injury. I don't think Jim Dunn can walk again." I couldn't believe that Jim would have made the trip had he known that. Later, I asked Jim: "Did Dr. Huang tell you that you wouldn't walk again?" His face said it all. Jim looked stunned. "No," he said, "He never told me that." It still gnaws at me, thinking I may have taken some of Jim's hope away.

Jim never saw Dr. Huang after his surgery and there has been no follow-up. Was it all worth it? Would he do it again? Jim says yes even though he still doesn't know the outcome of his surgery decision. It was like "rolling the dice," he says, and he still hopes he will walk and skydive again.

I want to know what you think. Is it worth risking your life for an experimental surgery? Does experimental research deserve more funding?

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/blogs/paging.dr.gupta/

as i said before....me and jim we had the procedure [oeg]in the same day.
    i have no improvments ,just more neuro pain and spasticity.here is a pic ...jim and his sister [very nice people]
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Gilf!

f
    ight

Quote Originally Posted by donz
    Gilf!
    translate please what gilf means.
    • Dum spiro, spero.

Can you blame these guys for trying? I don't think so. It would have been great to hear positive results. They have more balls than I do. It's not a money thing. It's having the courage to go there and try. If no one went there to try it and you would never know what the result would be. Everybody is desperate in their own way to get out of these wheelchairs. I hate my situation not giving up but still continuing every day.
    keiffer66

Manouli, thank you for your post.
    I saw it mentioned on the website of www.nrrfr.com that Huang’s treatment was $ 20’000, instead of more than $ 40’000. Well, is it a misunderstanding or something else?
    Also as I know Huang always emphasize that his operation is not a cure for CNS diseases, such as SCI, ALS, MS, SMA etc, at least at the moment it isn’t. It is hardly believed that he won’t tell anyone who would like to accept his transplantation this simple truth before coming to China.
    I have to admit sometimes I am really confused by some reports.

a huge lie ,most of the tv .station are saying here in romania ....dr.huang can cure sci .what a bull ....s ,for people [sci]and their loved ones[family].
    is not stupid the one who ask for money..is stupid the one who pay[desperate sci and family members].if a procedure doesn`t work as a scientist i would say...stop people i don`t do reaserch and humans trials for my pocket only.shame .as jim dunn said...after the surgery i never saw dr.huang again.is true ,i did not see him again and i had to fight hard to get antibiotics for uti [pseudonoma aeruginosa bug]from their hospital.regarding payment..i paid 20.000 us$,i show them my romanian passport not the us one.the lady who was incharge tried to keep more in the hospital [more money of course].you know dr.huang advice is....you cannot travel back to your country with such an uti [fever ,chills etc.].most of the patients ended up with this dam bug and they were very upset.drink more water ........the medical staff told us.i don`t want to remember is like a nightmare .
    • Dum spiro, spero.

Huang explained clearly enough in the website as below

"4. What are the benefits of OEG cells transplantation?

Our aim is to restore as much neurological function as possible for our patients through the OEC transplantation. OECs transplantation is not a cure, but one kind of improvement for you. Most of our SCI patients show improvement in sensory function, partial motor function, trunk balance, sweating and control of bowel movement and urine;some male patients have also recovered sexual function. Most of our ALS patients have been able to achieve stabilization their neurological function for an indefinite period. "

more
    http://www.nrrfr.com/bbs_English_nr....e=&classid=219

I think every one before making a decision of going to Beijing should read this thread carefully.