Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guns in space

Lets ask the Mythbusters
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Ha that was some good rambling Cory

Mass of the objects, as I see it, will not come into play because the gravitatioinal pull from the sun is perpendicular(spelling?) to the velocity of the objects and will therefore not effect the speed.

The bullet will exit the gun at top speed and earth still travels at its normal speed (not even I can change that) And lets say that the bullet will travel in the same orbit as earth. It won't offcourse but lets say it will.
    Who is first over the line?

Another question...Why won't the bullet travel in the same orbit as earth?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee
    If there is no gravity of the earth affecting the bullet or vice versa or friction in space, it all depends on the intial veloctiy of the earth and the bullet, whichever is intially faster will win, if they both start at 0 m/s then again it would all depend on their start velocity.

The bullet has a much much smaller mass than the earth, so the gravitational pull from the sun to the earth is goign to be huge compared to the bullets.

I havn't taken physics in awhile, but if the Force of gravity is stronger on the earth, I think it might accelerate faster around the orbit than the bullet but again I'm not sure if they are directly related or not.

Because if you think about it, the earth has a much greater chance of running into debree that could cause friction and slowly slow the earth down, or a big f'ing metor coudl nail it and the bullet would win hah.

v = (2*pi*R) / T,

if you use this formula, T is the period, R is the distance from the object from the sun, so mass doesn't even come into play, in this case they would be equal.

Well that was alot of rambling, I conclude that if they both start out at the same intial velocity, and there is no friction, they will both be equal in speed around the sun if you put treat the earth as a small point rather tahn taking into account how much bigger it is compared to the bullet.

Becuase somthing this big ( ) compared to . of course the right side of the ) will hit the finish line before the .

and here is a kitty:
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Moe,

I... don't care about what I think ... you should just ignore my posts.

I don't understand ... words.

Paolo

If the bullet was fired in parralel with the earth, the bullet would travel faster. Because it has a greater velocity it would be forced into a much wider eliptical orbit. The Earth would make it back first. Probably by as much as 30 years. (guessing)
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

So a bullet travels faster then planet earth?
    Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrauer
    If the bullet was fired in parralel with the earth, the bullet would travel faster. Because it has a greater velocity it would be forced into a much wider eliptical orbit. The Earth would make it back first. Probably by as much as 30 years. (guessing)
    Moe,

Paolo

I'm just guessing at some of this , but yeah I think it would go faster.
    IF we are talking about the same starting point, and I'm assuming the speeds are both the same at the time the firing of said 'bullet' is fired.
    The bullet would be subject to the same gravitational pull from the sun, but the bullet it'self has much less mass and less of it's own gravitational pull. The addition velocity would cause it to extend it's orbit..
    Again mostly just guessing from me.

EDIT.. unless your talking about a stone cold start, in which case the bullet would lose as the velocity would be much less than what the Earth is currently at.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

In my univers right as earth passes by the gun fires.

So if the bullet has a speed of 3000ft/sec then earth would be 33 times faster. So our little planet wins if they travel in the same orbit.(which they won't) So you got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrauer
    I'm just guessing at some of this , but yeah I think it would go faster.
    IF we are talking about the same starting point, and I'm assuming the speeds are both the same at the time the firing of said 'bullet' is fired.
    The bullet would be subject to the same gravitational pull from the sun, but the bullet it'self has much less mass and less of it's own gravitational pull. The addition velocity would cause it to extend it's orbit..
    Again mostly just guessing from me.

EDIT.. unless your talking about a stone cold start, in which case the bullet would lose as the velocity would be much less than what the Earth is currently at.
    Moe,

Paolo

Newton's first Law

That depends upon what direction it is fired... If it is fired toward the earth, provided it doesn't hit any space junk, it will burn up in the atmosphere. If it is fired parallel to the earth, it will go in in a slowly decaying orbit until it burns up in the atmosphere, provided it doesn't hit anything first. If it is fired away from the earth, it will continue forever unless it is acted upon by the gravitational pull of a body, or it strikes something.

For more information on Newton's first Law
    http://physics.tutorcircle.com/motio...of-motion.html

Here's what it will sound like:

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    The only thing to stop it would be gravity. Projectile would still drop due to gravity and as it only has one hit would not escape. The solar system has lots of gravity. Compare projectile velocities around 1km/s and low earth orbit which is around ten times that.