Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uppertone exercise program

Uppertone exercise program

I bought an Uppertone in Jan 2007. I've had it for less than a week, but I really like it. I feel as if I'm targeting muscles, something that was very difficult using only wrist weights.

Anyway, I'm a C5 quad and I wanted to know what other crips are doing as an Uppertone workout. What exercises do you group together, how many times a week, etc.

Before my injury I worked out regularly, but it really is different now. So far I can do the chest press, bicep curls, deltoid & lateral raise (palm down on both), lat (kinda), and rowing exercises. I plan on lifting 5 days a week with bike and areobics for cardio work.

I made a chart that extrapolates "actual" weight for the Uppertone in 5lb increments vs 1/2 truck positions. Maybe other people may find it useful...
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Scott,

Did you get the manual with your Uppertone machine? I found some of the exercises to be poorly described, didn’t work well for me (their version of shrugs are actually reverse shrugs and didn’t really do much and I don’t have enough triceps to properly do the triceps extensions), or caused some shoulder problems (the deltoid press as described in book puts shoulders at a bad position for impingement and was causing shoulder damage). I function at C6.

When I am being diligent I use my Vitaglide for 1 hour plus on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and weights on Tuesday and Thursday (about 2.5 hrs or a bit more, working pretty steady, four to eight sets per exercise, smaller muscles get less sets, bigger get te full eight per exercise). This is a longer than I used to work in my pre-injury weight room workouts, but the general reduction of everyday activity results in a greater commitment to focused exercise. This gets good results for me. As long as health and other SCI related problems don’t interfere too much with my routine.

On Tuesdays I do biceps curls, palm down biceps curls (really helps improve forearm size), narrow chest press, wide chest press, narrow rows (one armed), wide rows (two armed, higher reps) and forearm work (mostly resisting with opposite hand is enough for weight).

On Thursdays I do palm down lateral shoulder raise (one arm at a time to keep better form, thumbs point slightly down to protect from impinging the shoulder), shoulder press (not in the book, one arm at a time press hand up from shoulder turning as it raises from facing ear to facing forward, like an Arnold press with a dumbbell), lat pulls, shoulder extensions (rickshaw loop handles on longer rings light weight, high reps strict form work best for these to work some smaller, rear shoulder muscles), rickshaw (rickshaw loop handles on shorter rings, and squeezing at the bottom really helps to increase my flicker of triceps to increase in strength), shoulder external rotation (light weight, high reps, strict form), internal and external rotation using an exercise tubing tied to the Uppertone (light weight, high reps, strict form). The last three exercises are probably some of the most important to reduce shoulder pain.

For many exercises I pyramid from light weights high reps to heavy weights, lower reps.

For any shoulder exercises making sure that the machine is at a height were the pivot point is even with shoulder height makes them work much smoother and safer. They are often too low in the book’s pictures.

Scott, you must've been reading my mind. I was going to ask if someone could post the weight chart. Thanks.

I find splitting it up like Jeff does to be the best way. I do a similar routine. Chest/arms one day, shoulders the next. I don't use the uppertone for my shoulder raises, I think wrist weights are more effective. I also feel the shrugs on the uppertone don't do much. I do use it for rickshaw, shoulder extensions, triceps etc..

thanks for your suggestions.
    right now I'm doin biceps curls and rows on day 1, then chest, deltoid press, lateral raise and lats on day 2. Last week I did each 3xs...boy were my muscles whipped on Saturday (I didn't even do any 12 oz curls).

lifting after sci really is different. I'm finding it hard to find a good weight for each rep. One weight may seen too light, allowing me to do really high reps, but if I incease the weight, my range of motion is drasticly reduced. At that setting I don't feel as if I'm actually performing the exercise completely.

I also don't get the same sensation I used to get from lifting before my injury. I'm starting from square zero, so I guess it will take time. I'm just happy that I'm actually able to lift again.

I find that only biceps and maybe sometimes rows feel similar to how things used to during pre-SCI workouts, and even then it is still not quite the same. While during curls my biceps get big and pumped but I don't have the same feeling in them as before so they don't feel the burn. It does make me a bit angry/sad since I really used to enjoy working out before my injury and now it is more of a thing I have to do rather than a thing I do because I enjoy it.

The good thing about the Uppertone is that you can easily and quickly slide the weight around to adjust resistance so if it is too light or too heavy you can just ease it a bit more or less. For the final few sets of some exercises like curls, lats or rickshaw I will often choose a weight that I can only do about 4-6 reps with then quickly reduce the weight enough to be able to grind out another 4-6.

Always make sure that you can do the full range of motion in good form. Quad shoulders are easy enough to hurt as it is. The strength will come along with time better that way anyhow. Nobody is there to watch how much you are lifting anyway.
    Last edited by Jeff B; 01-31-2007 at 02:23 PM.

I agree completely about missing the workout feeling, Jeff.
    I used to enjoy lifting, running, heck, most things that are damn near impossible now. I had hoped lifting would be like before, but I guess not.
    I am enjoying the opertunity to really work my muscles, so I'm sure I'll stay with the program.
    It sucks that even when you are able to get back a little part of your "former life", sci still manages to taint it.

Yeah, SCI taints everything now, even things as simple as eating good food (will this mess up my bowel program?), or going outside (am I going to get too cold, or overheat?).

Sometimes it is difficult to convince myself to work out now when it is not really enjoyable. Once I get started I can make myself stay and finish though. It's just getting started that can be tough. When I do manage to keep at it regularly I am able to make noticable gains in strengh and appearance.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Working out seems like more of a task. I feel good afterwards, but not like the old days. I also don't see myself gaining like the old days, and if I get sick and miss some days, I can lose strength. I like to drink a good protein shake after a workout. It helps get rid of the burning. Anybody use any supplements?

Where can you get information for uppertone?

Bump.
    Anyone care to share their experience? Any new routines? I've basically stuck to the same stuff, just switched reps. I also got a vitaglide which is a nice piece of equipment.