Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting my first powerchair

Blog Entries
    I just want to toss in here that if you only use your chair on paved surfaces and the like, that are smooth, no flats might be cool. If you plan on using it on uneven ground, wet grass, hills or dirt a lot, inserts won't do. You'll find yourself stuck everytime the wind blows, digging up the grass and sliding down hills with no control due to no traction.
    Not to mention jarring yourself to death. Flats are a RARITY if you watch where you are going. It was YEARS before I got my first. If it is a concern due to riding on surfaces with debris, put SLIME in the tubes or by tubes with it already in them.
    You couldn't PAY me to use inserts. I had them on my manual and powerchair when I first bought both of them, KILLED my back. I finally sawed those suckers off the manual after 2 years and used tubes ever since. I will also note that the ONLY flat I have had on my manual in almost 11 years was with PRIMO high pressure tires. I tossed those and use regular mountain bike tires now and can go anywhere on any surface as long as the hill isn't to steep.
    With the powerchairs, I have had a few flats due to metal shavings from drilling, hot metal splatters from welding and a small piece of a steel belt from a car tire, got it on a highway. I have since learned to SHIELD my tires when welding, SWEEP when drilling and put slime tubes in the fast bounder that I use to run down the road in.

With the iBot, pneumatic tires are your only choice. They tend to go through them quickly so Independence Technology will throw in a spare set. You must go through them or their designated DME to change them as a special tool is required to remove the wheel.

Hope it works out for you.

Way to go Shannon!! Congrats on the iBot.
    The iBot has four wheels plus casters.
    When Dean Kamen(the iBot designer) got a flat he just switched the four wheel "cluster" around. The chair will ride in normal mode on two wheels and the casters. That leaves two other wheels in the air. Flip the cluster over and the other two wheels get used. Use the stair climb mode to do that. The tech rep can guide you through how to do it. Otherwise just pull off the flat tire and replace it with one of the good ones that's in the air. But stay out of four wheel drive mode!

edit: Have you received your owner's manual and the interactive dvd yet?
    Last edited by PeteShick; 01-25-2007 at 11:46 PM.

SCI_OTR you are correct. However, the inner tube can be changed or patched as required quite conventionally by anyone familiar with changing a tube as CapnGimp said.
    From the iBot owners manual Sectin 11-25 Service and Maintenance.
    How to Replace an Inner Tube
    "Do not attempt to remove the metal wheel. Only an Independence Technology Service Provider can replace the wheel."
    The owner's manual then indicates how to replace the inner tube with photographs and explanations. It's very helpful if you don't have someone who knows how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    With the iBot, pneumatic tires are your only choice. They tend to go through them quickly so Independence Technology will throw in a spare set. You must go through them or their designated DME to change them as a special tool is required to remove the wheel.

Hope it works out for you.
    Last edited by PeteShick; 01-25-2007 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks for the info Pete. I never thought about rotating clusters. It's like having two onboard spares. How long have your tires lasted?

I still use the original tires after 11 months but whichever tires the iBot is resting on seem to leak air slowly. I need to replace the valves. As for tires, IT is supposedly experimenting with non-pneumatic "tweel" tires like the casters. If they change to them, I bet all owners will receive new tires/wheels. I'm hoping anyway.
    The offroad segway has cool tires. I'd love to adapt them to my iBot. Just dreamin'! Check 'em out http://www.segway.com/personal-trans.../model_x2.html
    Last edited by PeteShick; 01-26-2007 at 12:07 AM.

I heard about the possible use of "Tweels" by our IT rep A couple of months back, I browsed through the Michellan web site to find out more, but got the impression that commercial applications were still some time off.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteShick
    Way to go Shannon!! Congrats on the iBot.
    The iBot has four wheels plus casters.
    When Dean Kamen(the iBot designer) got a flat he just switched the four wheel "cluster" around. The chair will ride in normal mode on two wheels and the casters. That leaves two other wheels in the air. Flip the cluster over and the other two wheels get used. Use the stair climb mode to do that. The tech rep can guide you through how to do it. Otherwise just pull off the flat tire and replace it with one of the good ones that's in the air. But stay out of four wheel drive mode!

edit: Have you received your owner's manual and the interactive dvd yet?
    Ah! Thanks for answering Pete. That takes care of that question.

No, I haven't received the owner's manual yet. I do have an interactive dvd that goes through the different functions. It's pretty cool!

I'm super excited! It's such an amazing chair.

I just test drove the iBot.
    The rep said they don't make foam inserts for the tires.
    They are working on developing a different tire.
    From what the rep said: Given that the iBOT climbs steps, the tires have to have additional grip.
    Solid tires don't give that kind of grip.
    I gave the go ahead to the rep to get an iBOT.
    But, it seems silly to think that my HMO is going to foot the bill.
    I am fine with a manual chair.
    Rich

Fantastic about the HMO springing for the ibot Rich, did you have to have to submit anything special to bring that about?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005