Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting my first powerchair

Getting my first powerchair

I've had a manual for 28 years. In about a month, I'll be getting my first powerchair.

What do you do when you get a flat tire? I guess you just have to roll on it until you get to a place that can fix it for you??? Does that damage the wheel? Do you take it to a bike shop, or a wheelchair place?

How long do powerchairs normally last? 5 years? 10 years?

Blog Entries
    I fix flats myself, not that hard if you have use of your hands. Depending on the drivewheel setup, you can't go, as some 'high-center' and won't touch the ground.
    It is only a tire, so anyone can fix the flat in a matter of minutes. Get a kid who fixes his own flats to, if nothing else. Make friends with a bicycle rider
    I sure would not wait for a dealer and be charged a fortune.
    Having said that, I have found that flats are only a problem with the gray indoor tires that are only used on wheelchairs.I use standard black tires. You will hear arguments both ways, but I have NEVER had tire marks on any floor I've been on. The black comes from DIRT.
    As far as durability, THAT is a big variable.

Thanks Cap.

Shannon,
    I used a manual chair for 20 years before going to power. I got the foam inserts in all four tires. Probably a little firmer ride, but no regular pressure checks/adjustments and NO flats. A couple more irritations removed from my life.

Okay, thanks RoJo. I'll look into that.

Jim also has the solid tires, they have lasted 7 years, no problems. What kind of chair are you getting?

Shannon, when I went through the ordering processes for my power chair, I went for the foam inserts in the tires. I think 28 years is long enough to be pushing a manual chair.

As far as the longevity, I have only had mine for about three years now and I haven't had a single problem. But I haven't used it over rough ground very much. People that have used them longer will have to answer that one.
    William M.
    T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

Hi Shannon,

Give the tilt in space option a look......i just got it and love it......also i'd say don't go any hiring on the backrest than u have to.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

demo, demo, demo

The power chair is higher off the ground than your manual so look at the varied options otherwise you'll be cursing youcan't fit under your sink anymore
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Thank you all. I'm getting an iBOT (the chair that balances on two wheels). I've been through 2 test drives and an evalution. I should be getting it in 4 to 6 weeks from now.

Obviously there are differences from the traditional powerchair, but I just wanted to get some ideas.