Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair backs & cushions

Wheelchair backs & cushions

I was never seated in a chair for scoliosis. I talked to a sales rep in Dallas. He told me of a wc back made with air. Does anyone know about this? Also, has anyone tried a quaid roho?Does it really help to sit you straighter?
    The bar that holds the back up is really digging into my ribs. I never knew they had special seats for scolioses.I have always set on a low profile roho and my balance is really bad then with the curve boy I fight trying to sit up straight.But I have to give roho a plus cause I have had no breakdown on my skin.
    I went two times for rehab at TIRR and can't believe they never addressed this problem.

i know exactly what you mean, i have the same issues grrrrrr
    i want a roho quatro too, and i also need a new back......my own and the chair's
    i never heard about an air filled chair back, i hope someone has info about it.

You could try some Jay gel cushions, which provide greater seating stability and positioning. There might be trade-offs with increased risk of skin breakdown, but with some of the high protection gel cushions, you might have same or even greater protection- but degree protection can be very individual and specific to one's needs.

Gel cushions tend to provide better positioning of hips than roho's. Gel inserts can be added to sections of cushion to enable more protection and/or lift underneath hip if one side tends to be lower (this can even out hips) - uneven hips, which can then increase tilt and imbalance in torso, which increases leaning and subsequent tendency to attempt to compensate by leaning upper body/shoulders towards opposite direction, exaggerating/aggravating curve.
    Same adjustments to cushion can be made by increase/decrease of air in roho's, as Im sure you're already aware.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "do not be too moral. you may cheat yourself out of much life. aim above morality. be simply not good; be good for something."

i know alot of ppl prefer gel cushions, or jay cushions, or any cushion other than a roho but i've sat on a roho for over 20 years and have never had a skin problem, and i've got a real skinny butt, so i'm not changing anything now, except to try a roho quatro.

(btw chick---i like what you wrote in your profile lol)

Mary-
    I use the Roho Quadtro & I couldn't imagine sitting on anything else. It has helpped me sit straight & kept my bottom from hurting like he**. While I was in rehab, they brought in an air filled back cushion for someone else to try. I know they put it into a Quickie chair, if I remember correctly, it was made by Jay. It had an adjustment valve to get the right back positioning. Also, I think I might have seen a Roho back cushion somewhere, but I can't remember where. I hope this has been helpful for you.

'Chelle

try the stimulite series by supracor. ive used them exclusivly for bout 8 years, my but doesnt even get red

This is the kind of back I have. I just got it last week. I had a jay molded back before. But, this is sooo much lighter. It has a valve that you can adjust the amount of air to your comfort. So far, I like it.

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

The Quadtro hasn't helped me sit straighter. I still feel crooked and like I'm falling sideways.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Has anyone heard of a Evolution by Varliate. That is what my chair person is talking about. I am going to look it up on the web.
    I have a 30 degree curve and have sit in a chair that has never been addressed to scoliosis. I have alot of pain and dicomfort because of slumping over or I should say fighting to keep straight. This guy that is helping me is in Dallas and was highly recammended from a friend of mine that is in a chair. He is working with Medicaire for me and you know no one wants to fight that battle.

Varilite evolution is what I have. The link is listed in my post below. I have the equivalence of a Jay2, I think. But, they have all different sizes.

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt