Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hey someone part this for me and tell me how much it'd cost. :)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

hey someone part this for me and tell me how much it'd cost. :)

hey Andy, you have time to play at work - hook a brutha up and build / price something out for me.

I've been avoiding this for a while, thought about getting a laptop, but sometime or another I need to just bite the bullet and build a Windows box. I've got two Macs (one dying.. haha) but business needs necessitate Windows at times. Yeah, I could get an Intel Mac but I don't need another Mac at the moment, plus I'm pretty sure I can get more for my money by just building a system for what I need. I don't want an emulator (Parallels, etc).

Primary uses:

- design testing on IE
    - MS Office
    - Quickbooks
    - ProShow - www.photodex.com
    - SWiSH - www.swishzone.com
    ...and other little windows-only apps.

I don't know anything about the Vista stuff. I just need a system that runs what I need it to. What's the deal with Vista anyway? Will it run all the XP apps w/o issue?

Hardware requirements:

- plenty of HDD space; at least 2 seperate drives, one being in the 300+ gb range, one for system/application use (size doesn't really matter - most bang for buck I guess).

- plenty of RAM. I have 1.5gb of PC2700 DDR lying around but I think it might be too old to use w/ current stuff?

- I don't care about processor speed as long as it keeps a decent pace. What's mid-range? This won't be used for gaming. I've always felt that RAM makes more difference.

- DVD-R drive, perhaps w/ Lightscribe. Don't care about RW capability.

- WiFi/Bluetooth

- gigabit ethernet, don't care if it's integrated on MB.

- dual monitor outputs, at least one being DVI. If one is VGA and on the MB, I don't care.

- tv tuner card w/ a remote & 5.1 surround output (just because. )

- quiet case/fan. nothing fancy, but nothing too boring.

Thoughts? How inexpensively can I build this for? Would it be cheaper to just go through Dell/wherever when considering software (OS, office, etc) too?

TIA...

You can buy a cheap dell desktop online with windows xp media center edition or XP pro and office for less then what it would cost to throw a windows machine together. Conservitivly you are looking at spending close to 800+ to build one out right depending on what you can get away with not buying cause you already have on hand like monitors, keyboards, mice, hard drives etc.
    Teyrn

yup, just over $800 sans monitor/keyboard/etc w/ a media center case (I like this idea, would fit well w/ other stuff)... could probably get it under $800 if I tried... not too bad. I left out any extra A/V options; I have a 7.1 channel usb sound card for my laptop that I can use.

See link.. thoughts? It's been a while since I pieced one together; what am I forgetting?

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...ndows+box+0107

ETA: bummer, I forgot a 2nd display output + bluetooth. hmm...
    Last edited by -scott-; 01-22-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Ahh, I see you are shopping at my favorite place. I have a few thoughts about the stuff you spec'ed out, let me piece together a list and I'll post it. You basically are looking for cheap, quiet, 2 monitors, and nothing really taxing like video encoding/games/pre-press operations or anything like that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Ahh, I see you are shopping at my favorite place. I have a few thoughts about the stuff you spec'ed out, let me piece together a list and I'll post it. You basically are looking for cheap, quiet, 2 monitors, and nothing really taxing like video encoding/games/pre-press operations or anything like that, right?
    That's basically the gist of it. I'd just be using it for business apps, backup of work from my Mac (hence the gigabit req't), and some entertainment. There's nothing terribly CPU-intensive that I'd do w/ this machine. There would be some minor video encoding, but more so in the form of creating slideshows for DVD-video business cards (click the ProShow link above). It's nothing like full-out video though.

The two monitor req't is just for fun. Realistically I'll run one monitor and send video/etc to a projector through the other output. The case chosen will blend with a receiver & cd changer I've got already..

Thanks for any input you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett

I don't know anything about the Vista stuff. I just need a system that runs what I need it to. What's the deal with Vista anyway? Will it run all the XP apps w/o issue?
    Hi, Scott.

Vista 32 bit should run all the applications that work on Windows XP, without any issues or problems. Vista 64 bit is another story, and so don't even think about it. I would recommend getting XP Media Center or Professional, and then use the Windows Vista coupon to upgrade to Home Premium or Business. I believe there are seven versions of Vista. For Vista, you will need 1GB of RAM and the sweet spot is probably 2GB of RAM.

Windows Vista is still a bit of an unknown quantity, but I think it will give the user more security,and less freedom than Windows XP because of the AACS (Advanced Access Content System).
    Last edited by PN; 01-22-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Hi, Scott.

Vista 32 bit should run all the applications that work on Windows XP, without any issues or problems. Vista 64 bit is another story, and so don't even think about it. I would recommend getting XP Media Center or Professional, and then use the Windows Vista coupon to upgrade to Home Premium or Business. I believe there are seven versions of Vista. For Vista, you will need 1GB of RAM and the sweet spot is probably 2GB of RAM.

Windows Vista is still a bit of an unknown quantity, but I think it will give the user more security,and less freedom than Windows XP because of the AACS (Advanced Access Content System).
    Thanks Paul... good to know! I'll still be using my Mac (dual G5, 2gb ram) for the more intensive programs (e.g. Photoshop).

I started to look into the base C2D CPU on a 965G chipset board from Intel for super-duper stability, somewhat future proof, etc, and then looked closer at what you got spec'ed now. It seemed that I already started going overboard, so I'll just add that those small fans in that case make me think noise...but you have that PS with 2 fans, so maybe use those instead. Also check out the Seagate 7200.10 320G hard drives. More space for cheaper than what you have listed now. Also get a full 2 gig for that Vista thing, especially if you are going to do the Media Center/free Vista Home Premium route. Check into if that onboard video has 512MB memory addressable with DirectX 9 support...I remember reading something that the fancy Vista Home Premium GUI will want this for it to be enabled.

Or, maybe just get some cheapo Dell box, they have a great price point if you are looking for a base machine.

Thanks Andy.

I priced a C2D setup, and the processor itself costs more than the current processor/MB combo that I already found. Additionally, the MB will support a C2D chip should I find a need to upgrade. If not, I'm out $100ish for both if I replace them. Not earth-shattering.

Good point on the storage/ram. I was just aiming for price, didn't give a lot of thought to either of those. I've already filled (well, to the point that I don't want to overfill them) 2 300gb drives on the G5, but this machine would serve different purposes.

I was going to add an add'l video card w/ DVI support. I'm not too concerned with the onboard stuff, as that would just feed into a lower-res projector.

As for going with a cheapo Dell box - yeah, I haven't ruled that out.
    It's just more fun to play with the build if I go with a Win box, and it shouldn't cost me that much more to get a system with more of what I'd be looking for.

ttt.

Added more junk / made changes to the wishlist, price went up. Andy - thoughts on the current?