Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Links in your posts.

Links in your posts.

A user recently asked how they can make a word in the post a "link". It occurred to me that many people may not know how to use the URL, IMG, and QUOTE commands on this site. Let me try to explain.

If you paste a web link, also called a URL, into your posted message, CareCure will automatically recognize the link and make it into a link. If the URL address is too long, it will often shorten it for you.

You can also put in the link manually. This is done with commands in square brackets. So, for example where I have substituted { for [ and } for ].
    {URL=http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?p=604915#post604915}Previous link{/url}

will give you Previous link

The form of the command is to have a left square bracket URL=.... that address that you want the link to go to, right square bracket, the text the you want to show, and the bracket, slash, URL, close bracket.

Wise.

T7-8 since Feb 2005

I keep trying using Wise's way above. Seems simple enough, but my comp. will not do it. Could there be a security setting not letting me do this?

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    I keep trying using Wise's way above. Seems simple enough, but my comp. will not do it. Could there be a security setting not letting me do this?
    Jeff, I don't think that it's a security setting. More likely it's a syntax error.

Normally, I would never share the contents (or even acknowledge the existence of) a private message. I do so now trusting that the sender would not object, since it is not of a personal nature.

With bows to Ms. Keps for her generosity and clarity.

Hi FO,

no, I don't mind explaining.

You mean how do you manipulate a link so that it is called whatever you want to call it (such as "source")?

OK, Do exactly the folllowing, and it will work -

One important point first - where I use ( or), you MUST use [ or ], or it will not work.

(I can't use [ or ], because then the code will get swallowed up to create a dead link for "NAME")

So -

(url=LINK)NAME(/url)

Put your link where it says "LINK".
    Put whatever name you want where it says "NAME"

Here's a very useful page which may help you with this, in case my explanation is not very good (scroll down page) -

http://www.chobel.be/cgi-bin/feedback/firebook.cgi?lang=&skin=&action=help&showhelp=link 1

Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I thought that John Smith explained it very well in this thread. Lost at post #6.

Thanks FO.. I have resolved the issue. After reading keps' pm, I tried using [ ] instead of { } and it works perfectly.

jazzyjeff,

If you do it the way that I describe or Foolish Old described, it works. I know because I have posted over 25000 posts and links this way. I cannot imagine any computer that does not have square brackets. All you have to do is to enter the square brackets where I have curly { or } brackets. Or, where Foolish Old's post has parentheses ( or ).

The form is {url=LINK}NAME{/url} where you of course substitute [ or { and ] or }.

Of course, you can do it using the "Insert link" command which essentially gives you the same commands.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    Thanks FO.. I have resolved the issue. After reading keps' pm, I tried using [ ] instead of { } and it works perfectly.
    glad you solved it jeff!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

FINALLY!!!!! I had been wanting to learn for some time now. It seems everyone is learning as well... just that I'm the last..lol.

Nope .... if EVERYONE could do it, we wouldn't have 3 threads about it! You aren;t last, just the latest.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005