Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hey someone part this for me and tell me how much it'd cost. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    ttt.

Added more junk / made changes to the wishlist, price went up. Andy - thoughts on the current?
    I just go down the line...

Silverstone case...quality stuff, if you like the looks and want the HTPC style, I'd say good idea.

2 60mm fans...I see you got a pair that are 1k rpm slower than the ones that come with the case...dont bother with them. If you find the stock fans too noisy, you can undervolt them and run them at 7 volts by wiring them to the 12 and 5 volt leads.

It sort of sounds like you might want to upgrade to C2D maybe in the future...and now the madness begins...

Memory: $60 more will get you this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231114
    Seems this is the recently discovered very good overclockable memory for cheap (gives you the needed bandwidth when messing with the FSB speeds to overclock that C2D). OC'ing is stupid easy with massive gains using the C2D, so if you buy one, you will probably take the free horsepower available in these CPU's

On this same train of thought...$62 more will get you this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131030
    This will work great for a nice easy OC for that C2D using the stock Intel cooler and cooling capacity of the case you picked. I'd say maybe 30% more MHz just using the Intel cooler and the thermal solution of that case

And while you are at it, might as well just get a C2D:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115005
    For a mere $89.00 more you can have one

Check into that new Allendale version of the C2D, I notice that they have a slower FSB stock, so maybe you will be able to use dirt cheap memory and still overclock nicely as the multipliers are boosted to get the CPU speed in this series it would seem. That might save a nice chunk of $ on the memory purchase.

Oh yeah, maybe change that DVD burner to a SATA variety, no big IDE cables to block airflow in that case. 20x is meaningless if the media isnt cooperating.

I'm unclear why you have a gigabit router and a wireless card. You wont get gigabit over that wireless, unless you are using that $$ router for some other computers hardwired?

Hey thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I just go down the line...

Silverstone case...quality stuff, if you like the looks and want the HTPC style, I'd say good idea.
    check.

2 60mm fans...I see you got a pair that are 1k rpm slower than the ones that come with the case...dont bother with them. If you find the stock fans too noisy, you can undervolt them and run them at 7 volts by wiring them to the 12 and 5 volt leads.
    okay... figured at the cost + the reviews saying they were quieter, I'd toss them in. If undervolting the stock ones is easy, I'll do that.

It sort of sounds like you might want to upgrade to C2D maybe in the future...and now the madness begins...

Memory: $60 more will get you this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231114
    Seems this is the recently discovered very good overclockable memory for cheap (gives you the needed bandwidth when messing with the FSB speeds to overclock that C2D). OC'ing is stupid easy with massive gains using the C2D, so if you buy one, you will probably take the free horsepower available in these CPU's

On this same train of thought...$62 more will get you this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131030
    This will work great for a nice easy OC for that C2D using the stock Intel cooler and cooling capacity of the case you picked. I'd say maybe 30% more MHz just using the Intel cooler and the thermal solution of that case

And while you are at it, might as well just get a C2D:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115005
    For a mere $89.00 more you can have one

Check into that new Allendale version of the C2D, I notice that they have a slower FSB stock, so maybe you will be able to use dirt cheap memory and still overclock nicely as the multipliers are boosted to get the CPU speed in this series it would seem. That might save a nice chunk of $ on the memory purchase.
    haha... you're a turd. I don't know if I'll up these specs... still have $$$ in software to factor in, and I don't *need* that extra speed. I can spend ~$200 elsewhere & still have this thing do everything I need it to.

Oh yeah, maybe change that DVD burner to a SATA variety, no big IDE cables to block airflow in that case. 20x is meaningless if the media isnt cooperating.
    good call. I didn't pay att'n to the connector here.

I'm unclear why you have a gigabit router and a wireless card. You wont get gigabit over that wireless, unless you are using that $$ router for some other computers hardwired?
    My "office" is in the basement, while the cable modem + wireless router are upstairs. Wireless card = Internet. Gigabit router = network between the Mac & this box (unless I can run a cable straight between them? I can w/ 2 Macs, but I didn't think this was possible Mac <--> PC)

Hey thanks!

check.

okay... figured at the cost + the reviews saying they were quieter, I'd toss them in. If undervolting the stock ones is easy, I'll do that.

haha... you're a turd. I don't know if I'll up these specs... still have $$$ in software to factor in, and I don't *need* that extra speed. I can spend ~$200 elsewhere & still have this thing do everything I need it to.

good call. I didn't pay att'n to the connector here.

My "office" is in the basement, while the cable modem + wireless router are upstairs. Wireless card = Internet. Gigabit router = network between the Mac & this box (unless I can run a cable straight between them? I can w/ 2 Macs, but I didn't think this was possible Mac <--> PC)
    Would elsewhere be Dell? I'm all for that when you consider easy getting, warranty, stuff working out of the box, etc. The question is the case, but they are making some small BTX format machines now too, dunno if that would work for you though. Just keep an eye out for what they are charging you for memory, they like overcharging for that. Might be better to get the minimum and buy elsewhere. I'm not all that knowledgeable about the general computing possibilities so I really cant help with what is best in that arena, I've been just researching the speedster-type machines and parts for the past few months. I'm not sure if you can wire two PC's together, seems maybe a special loop though cable could be used connecting the rx and tx together between the two ends vs. having a router do that function, but I am an idiot when it comes to this topic. Anyone else know if you can 10bt cable together 2 PC's (mac should follow standard network protocol too?)?

Nah, what I meant by the elsewhere statement was simply that if I didn't spend > $200 more for the parts you mentioned, I'd be able to spend that money on other stuff, e.g. software.

This is primarily for business; I pay a little closer attention to costs when other things like marketing, etc. turn out to be expenses that come out of the same pot...

I gave up and went back to the laptop idea. This is first & formost for work... realized I was still going overboard with some stuff and that I'd still need portability sometime this year anyway, as both my bro and I will be using this thing. Oh well, maybe later on a more fun box.

For now, a C2D Alienware Sentia m3450 is on its way.

Cool looking laptop. Did you spec it out with a 7200 rpm hard drive?

nah... again, don't really need it. It'll save me some coin and some battery life. I have a little over $600 worth of software to tack onto the final price, so I'm paying attention to little stuff that'd add up quickly.

so why Alienware? aren't they expensive? side-by-side spec'd equally, this is roughly $100 more than a Dell would be. I like the design, customer support, and company reputation better.

For now, a C2D Alienware Sentia m3450 is on its way.

Hey Scott:

Congrats on the new laptop!