Thread: quote: "We are missing out on possible breakthroughs,"

quote: "We are missing out on possible breakthroughs,"

Official faults Bush stem cell funding limits

By Will Dunham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A senior U.S. National Institutes of Health official said on Friday President George W. Bush's limits on federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research have blocked potential medical breakthroughs.

The comments by Story Landis, director of the NIH's National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, came as supporters of a bill to lift Bush's restrictions make a push for Senate passage in the coming weeks.

Bush used the only veto of his presidency last July to reject an identical bill and has promised another veto.

Democrats who seized control of Congress in November elections have made its passage a high priority. It cleared the House of Representatives on January 11 by a vote of 253-174, short of the two-thirds majority needed to override a veto.

Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts asked Landis during a Senate hearing to assess the impact of Bush's restrictions, imposed in August 2001.

"We are missing out on possible breakthroughs," Landis responded.

Advocates of such research call it the best hope for potential cures for ailments such as Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, Parkinson's disease and spinal cord injuries. But because such research requires destruction of days-old embryos, opponents call it immoral.

Continued...

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...1_%5BFeed%5D-3

patient groups in US call on FL to deliver 15-17 of the 37 needed for veto override

Hey manouli,

where are you in FL?

I just sent this letter to my newspaper. Feel free to send it to your local paper with your name and address.

Still in lockstep with Bush?

While the House overwhelmingly passed the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, HR 3, there were unfortunately 13 Florida Representatives who voted on the wrong side of science, and out of step with their own constituents.

The Florida delegation voted 13-12 against this crucial legislation, which has seen real bipartisan support in passing the House on a vote of 253 to 174.

If our Florida representatives truly represented the will of their constituents rather than the call to lockstep partisanship, there would have been just 8 NO votes reflecting the stubborn 30% minority ideological opposition on this issue.

The 13 legislators, which include Mica, Crenshaw, Stearns and Putnam who continue to enable Bush's ill-conceived and outdated 2001 ESCR restrictions, ought to realize the 21st century value voter is increasingly concerned and educated about issues like poverty, healthcare, stem cell research and integrity.

Integrity includes the courage to embrace the reality that using already discarded embryonic stem cells, left over from in-vitro fertilization procedures, for potentially life-saving research is good for humanity. Republican Main Street has long held this view. It’s about time our Florida representatives represent their constituents rather than their usual Washington partisanship.

More than six-hundred patient groups around the US call on Florida to deliver 15-17 of the 37 additional YES votes needed to help override an expected second veto by Bush. I’m encouraged by USA Today’s assessment of fair, as to the chance HR 3 will finally pass into law.

Faye Armitage
    Former Adjunct Professor of Economics,
    Brenau University, GA

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Last edited by kenf; 01-22-2007 at 10:34 PM.
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Hey manouli,

where are you in FL?

I just sent this letter to my newspaper. Feel free to send it to your local paper with your name and address.

Still in lockstep with Bush?

While the House overwhelmingly passed the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, HR 3, there were unfortunately 13 Florida Representatives who voted on the wrong side of science, and out of step with their own constituents.

The Florida delegation voted 13-12 against this crucial legislation, which has seen real bipartisan support in passing the House on a vote of 253 to 174.

If our Florida representatives truly represented the will of their constituents rather than the call to lockstep partisanship, there would have been just 8 NO votes reflecting the stubborn 30% minority ideological opposition on this issue.

The 13 legislators, which include Mica, Crenshaw, Stearns and Putnam who continue to enable Bush's ill-conceived and outdated 2001 ESCR restrictions, ought to realize the 21st century value voter is increasingly concerned and educated about issues like poverty, healthcare, stem cell research and integrity.

Integrity includes the courage to embrace the reality that using already discarded embryonic stem cells, left over from in-vitro fertilization procedures, for potentially life-saving research is good for humanity. Republican Main Street has long held this view. It’s about time our Florida representatives represent their constituents rather than their usual Washington partisanship.

More than six-hundred patient groups around the US call on Florida to deliver 15-17 of the 37 additional YES votes needed to help override an expected second veto by Bush. I’m encouraged by USA Today’s assessment of fair, as to the chance HR 3 will finally pass into law.

Faye Armitage
    Former Adjunct Professor of Economics,
    Brenau University, GA
    Hi Faye! I live in Boca Raton Florida. I'll do the best I can. I think nothing can stop the use of stem cells from now on, the majority of people want this, and they know it. I don't understand why is wrong to use frozen embryos that would be discarded as a byproduct of invitro fertilization. They will discard about 400 thousands.

Supporters Want Senate Vote Soon

POSTED: 2:59 pm CST January 19, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:29 pm CST January 19, 2007

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Supporters of embryonic stem cell research said they want a vote in the U.S. Senate as soon as possible.

A hearing Friday brought together many Senate supporters, including Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin.

The group is pushing for federal funding of new stem cell lines

Harkin is pushing the benefits of stem cell research at a joint hearing Friday in Washington.

Harkin co-sponsored the hearing to bring together Senate supporters and top scientific minds.

"We assert that human embryonic stem cells hold great promise to find new treatments and cures for diseases," Harkin said.

Harkin said why wait, when stem cells may be used to cure some of the worst illnesses and diseases.

"Most importantly, I hope he'll listen to millions of Americans who suffer from juvenile diabetes, spinal cord injuries and ALS, Parkinson's and cancer who view this as their best hope for treatment or a cure," he said.

Harkin said he is confident the bill for federal funding of embryonic stem cell research will pass the senate.

more:

http://www.kcci.com/health/10795425/detail.html

Why we should defend stem cell research
    Published Today | January 2007 , Stem Cells | Unrated

by John Parrington
    Stem cell research is among the most exciting but also most controversial areas of science today. It was in the news again last week because of proposals by British scientists to make stem cells from embryos created by implanting the genes from a human cell into the egg of a rabbit, cow or goat.

Initially it appeared that the government was planning to block such research, leading to claims that ministers were being swayed by pressure from religious groups.

Subsequently the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, the regulatory body that oversees such studies, has said that the work may be allowed to proceed, but only after substantial public debate and consultation.

A clash appears to be looming between those who believe such research is dangerous and immoral and scientists who say it is vital for developing treatments for conditions such as diabetes and Parkinson’s disease.

It is not surprising that many people feel uneasy when they see headlines such as the Daily Mail’s “Scientists To Create Frankenbunny”, conjuring up images of Frank, the malevolent six foot rabbit in the film Donnie Darko.

In fact the truth is somewhat less dramatic. What scientists want to do is create a special type of stem cell that can grow into any tissue in the body. This could be used to regenerate tissues that are damaged or diseased in conditions like spinal cord injury, heart disease or diabetes.

more:

http://www.thescizone.com/news/artic...esearch/1.html
    Last edited by manouli; 01-20-2007 at 05:34 PM.

It's always been and always will be about money.....These politicians don't believe im any GOD or religion. They use religion to keep the masses under control. Fear is their number 1 weapon. It's too bad 90% of people believe all that crap and keep taking all this crap. The government is nothing without the people....we have the real power but yet keep letting these fools tell us what to do. I wish people would wake up.