Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New C5 injury

I am so sorry to hear of your son's injury. My 19 year old nephew was injured, C6/7 complete, on 11/24/06, and I found this site within two weeks after his accident (motocross racing). My family and I have made new friends in this chat room. People have been so supportive and there is nothing better than the advice from someone who's been there.

I had questions about treatment, physical therapy, the house, equipment, etc. and all were discussed in this chatroom. You have much to deal with right now, but knowing that there are other people out there who have been there and made it through, makes a huge difference.

I am very new to this that I don't feel qualified to give advice, but I just wanted you to know that someone is thinking of you and your son.

Lore

be brave

Hi there,

My brother also recently had a injury at your sons level. The doctors also said that he will not have any recovery at all. he had his accident 5 November and had diificulty with his lungs and could not breath on his own up until a week before Christmas. Eversince then he has improved in leaps and bounds. He was transferred from ICU to Rehab on 5 January and there has been improvement every single day. he now has sensation all over the body can feel temparature in his hands and has already been taught how to make use of them as much as possible.
    My father took this accident the worst in the whole family and I want to tell you that it although very difficult now it does get better. The most important is that he gets a lot of support so that he can stay positive.This is our ecperience so far and although we have not dealt with a lot of things yet just know that no situation is too big to deal with.

Good Wishes and regards

Corne'

So sorry to hear about your son's injury. My 22 year old son was in a car accident last year and has a C6/7 SCI. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You are lucky to have found Care Cure- it has been a blessing for me.

I was also injured c4-c6 when I was 23. I was given a 5% chance to walk again. I also was, for quite a while, in a sip and puff chair. I wanted you to see the picture of me now so you can see that miracles do happen. Always remember that every spinal cord injury is different. You will hear that a lot from now on. I'm heading to China May 29th to get cord blood to hopefully boost my recovery more. May God be with you and your son.
    C4 -C5-C6 Incomplete Walking Quad. (Brown Sequard)
    http://www.myspace.com/turbobuick87
    www.lancestemcellchinatrip.blogspot.com

Sorry to hear =[

I'm a 19 year old, injured C4-C6 incomplete, Asia B this summer [early june]. I could barely lift my arms. I have since then become a C6 incomplete, Asia C. Ironically, I still have trouble with my hands, but I have calf, thigh, hip flexor and glute return on the left leg and calf and thigh return on the right. Therapists say there is a good chance I can walk again if I work hard. Hands may never get better, but it's a trade Im willing to make. Anything is possible. Stay positive!

Is your son a complete or incomplete injury?

Quote Originally Posted by kaution
    AS YOU KNOW I AM THE FATHER OF A C5 SCI SON. MY SON IS 23 YEARS OLD. BEFORE THIS INJURY HE WAS A HEALTHY INDIVIDUAL WITH NO MEDICAL PROBLEMS. I KNOW THAT IT IS PROBABLY TO EARLY TO TELL SINCE IT HAS ONLY BEEN 19 DAYS SINCE THE ACCIDENT. HE IS PRESENTLY IN REHAB. HE HAS NO FEELINGS FROM THE NIPPLES STRAIGHT ACROSS DOWN TO HIS FEET. HE IS ABLE TO HOIST HIS SHOULDERS BUT THATS ABOUT IT. DOCTORS HERE SAY IT IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY THAT HE WILL EVER WALK AGAIN. BUT I AM CURIOUS TO KNOW IS THERE SOME FORM OF HOPE TO THIS DILIMA?
    My parents were told the same thing but I have been walkiing with forearm crutches for the next 37 years. (C5-C6 Incomplete)

Good luck and keep the faith.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I am a C4 complete. I barely made it off the ventilator. Pray that your son gets his arms and hands. When I was in rehab, I watched a C4 incomplete go from completely paralyzed to walking. Every case is different. Where is he in rehab?

serenity prayer

The best advice another sci can give to another is very simple

God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change
    The courage to change the things I can.
    And the wisdom to know the difference

kaution, Very sorry to hear of your son's accident. My daughter was injured at age 14. She is a C/6 incomplete, post 2 years. If I can help in any way, I would be more than happy to do so. I am not a Dr., but have experienced a lot. Hang in there!

Any Updates?

Kaution~ It has been sveveral months since your son was first injured. Is he still in rehab? How is e doing these days? I am certain as you Go Forward in this process, new questions have arisen.
    Keep posting, there is plenty of support here.
    Every day I wake up is a good one