Thread: New C5 injury

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New C5 injury

I am the father of a new spinal cord injured son. He has an injury at C5 and was injured on New Year's eve. He was injured by a drunk driver. Can you tell me what are the things I should do. I thank you i n advance for your responses.

Also, I would like to know about any experimental surgeries that are available.

Welcome to CareCure. As we often say here, we are sorry that you had to find us, but we are glad that you did.

Where is your son? What planning is there to move him to a specialty SCI rehabilitation program? It is critical that he go to a specialty program, even if it is a distance from your home. A general rehabilitation program or center will not meet his needs. It should be a Model SCI Center ideally, or at least a CARF accredited facility (specifically a CARF SCSC or Spinal Cord System of Care).

I would recommend that you read the following articles here by Wise Young, MD:

Acute Spinal Cord Injury

Family & Spinal Cord Injury

Spinal Cord Injury Levels and Classification

Currently, I am not aware of any experimental surgeries for acute injury patients anyplace in the USA. I will ask Dr. Young to comment on this too.

Please ask questions....we will try to help with what we can. The most important thing you can learn now is as much as possible about SCI, options for care and rehabilitation, and how to be an advocate for your son. He will also need to gradually need to learn to be an advocate for himself, so when you can, get him on these forums too.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 01-30-2007 at 12:27 PM.

Kaution, welcome to Care Cure. How old is your son?

I'm a C2/3 quadriplegic injured at age three, 22 years ago. These first few weeks will see several changes and require decisions, but you've found a great resource to help. Feel free to ask anything you are wondering about and you will get help from those that have been through it and know what to expect.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Welcome. I just wanted to add my vote to suggest you read the articles KLD suggested. They are invaluable at this point.

Any way we can help, just shout. We like to help and if experience is the best teachers we should all be SCI Rhodes Scholars!

Welcome kaution. You've been given great advice already. Hope things work out for your family.

Hope things work out for you, kaution.
    Daniel

I am a C4 complete. I barely made it off the ventilator. Pray that your son gets his arms and hands. When I was in rehab, I watched a C4 incomplete go from completely paralyzed to walking. Every case is different. Where is he in rehab?

serenity prayer

The best advice another sci can give to another is very simple

God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change
    The courage to change the things I can.
    And the wisdom to know the difference

kaution, Very sorry to hear of your son's accident. My daughter was injured at age 14. She is a C/6 incomplete, post 2 years. If I can help in any way, I would be more than happy to do so. I am not a Dr., but have experienced a lot. Hang in there!

Any Updates?

Kaution~ It has been sveveral months since your son was first injured. Is he still in rehab? How is e doing these days? I am certain as you Go Forward in this process, new questions have arisen.
    Keep posting, there is plenty of support here.
    Every day I wake up is a good one